Strutt top repairs.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strutt top repairs.

Hi looking to replace the strutt tops on my Mk1 mexico but unsure of the best way to go about this. Do I cut the top off with the spring cup still attached or leave the spring cup in situ and just remove the strutt top panel? I have an oval strutt brace that i was going to use as a jig to get the new top panel in the correct postion as the old one. Any helpful hints or tips as to best way to go about this would be greatly appreciated or point me in the direction of some photos so I can get an idea of how to do them.
    Thanks Steve.

Originally posted by binksy73 View Post
    Hi looking to replace the strutt tops on my Mk1 mexico but unsure of the best way to go about this. Do I cut the top off with the spring cup still attached or leave the spring cup in situ and just remove the strutt top panel? I have an oval strutt brace that i was going to use as a jig to get the new top panel in the correct postion as the old one. Any helpful hints or tips as to best way to go about this would be greatly appreciated or point me in the direction of some photos so I can get an idea of how to do them.
    Thanks Steve.
    Just done this to mine!

Got my bits from Magnum. Originally was just going to fit Type 49 plates but the rust was too bad!

Ended up with a pair of pre built cup and support panels which they sell, and then pre welded all the Type 49 bits together (apart from the top plates)

Once these were welded together to the strut top plate it was a case of marking and cutting to fit to the inner wing.

Comment

Comment

Not thought of doing it that way.

Comment

Originally posted by binksy73 View Post
          Not thought of doing it that way.

If you don't need the supporting struts that weld onto the inner wing then you should be able to leave them in situ and weld the cup and strut top together.

I discovered a few horror stories with mine when I started pealing back the layers. Everything had been attacked by tin worm through all the layers of metal around the strut top and I decided the best way was to replace everything including the uprights as they had been welded over as well! Only downside to welding the uprights on is that I had to mig plug them rather than spot as I did on the strut top.

Comment

Working...
          X