Strut inserts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strut inserts

Just taken my struts off to paint em and fit AVO inserts, very surprised to find that they had the original guts not inserts. It's years since I did any, do the originals just need a good tug to get them out? I've drained the oil out and they feel pretty tight in the strut housing.
    Gone to the Dark Side but still lurking!

should pull out unless there is damage or corrosion near the top of the strut.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by prs View Post
      should pull out unless there is damage or corrosion near the top of the strut.
      There's no damage or corrosion, I'll try fastening the top spring cup on the end of the rod and tw@t it with a bit of wood.

Comment

Now out, ready for paint and rebuild. Just realised this should have been in tq, sorry Dave.

Comment

Check your new inserts have the same length rod in the damper. I remember having problems with Gaz dampers on my old rs2000, the rod was shorter than that of the damper I removed. They do two length rods nowadays, AVO may only supply one?

Comment

AVO only do one length Lee, I'm dropping the front 1" with 145lb springs.

I know GAZ do one for standard and one for lowered according to Burton's catalogue. John

Comment

some firms sell 2.0 capri inserts to put in rs legs. Spring seat on capri is 2" lower than rs so when capri insert fitted to rs leg top spring cap is 2" closer to spring pan on strut increasing preload on spring and lowering car 2" and giving harsh ride. Measure original rod from strut case to spring pan shoulder and compare to new insert. If new insert is 2" shorter it is a cpri insert or made for lowering springs.
              And then rbtm's lift car 1" its never easy

Comment

Originally posted by mark2marty View Post
                some firms sell 2.0 capri inserts to put in rs legs. Spring seat on capri is 2" lower than rs so when capri insert fitted to rs leg top spring cap is 2" closer to spring pan on strut increasing preload on spring and lowering car 2" and giving harsh ride. Measure original rod from strut case to spring pan shoulder and compare to new insert. If new insert is 2" shorter it is a cpri insert or made for lowering springs.
                And then rbtm's lift car 1" its never easy
                I looked on AVO website and they list the same insert for RS and Capri (not 2.8) these inserts have about 1 1/2" less travel than the originals and I'm putting 1" lower springs on so I can't see a problem.

Comment

I always thought that 2 litre capri and RS2000 were the same struts?

“The great thing about the sierra is, it has all the mechanical simplicity of a knife and fork” Quentin Willson

Comment

So did I ? if I want direct OEM replacements who does them? GAZ ??

Comment

Originally posted by Fullmeister View Post
                      So did I ? if I want direct OEM replacements who does them? GAZ ??
                      Very hard to find nowadays. These lot did do them but last time I checked, they only seemed to be listed were none RS ones.

KYB Europe website. KYB is one of the world’s largest suppliers of original equipment (OE) shock absorbers to vehicle manufacturers. Over 1 million KYB shock absorbers are manufactured every week from factories across the world.

This guy used to advertise rebuilt struts with Kyb inserts, maybe worth having a word with him?

John

Comment

Cheers John

Comment

Capri Koni 18-8635 sport:

I thougt RS and Capri inserts were the same lenght, but cannot confirm now....

Comment

Originally posted by RS 1800 View Post
                            Capri Koni 18-8635 sport:

I thougt RS and Capri inserts were the same lenght, but cannot confirm now....
                            According to the AVO catalogue they are the same, except for 2.8.

Comment

Working...
                            X