No announcement yet.

my first mk2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bit more progress on my old car, winters in its way, I've set my self a goal of having it in primer ready to block flat by the new year but work commitments just won't allow so after numerous quotes from painters I managed to coax an old friend of my dads into doing the job. 35 years if experience speaks for itself, what would have taken be me a week or more was done in a day, on rack quarter filled and nearly ready for primer, just the swage line to finish off on this side and the roof is nearly ready for primer to. The hardest thing I've found doing bodywork is being able to apply filler well to achieve an easy finish without multiple skins and hours an shouts of block sanding. This is what he achieved today.

That's one full skim of the quarter front to back. I wish I could bulk filler up like that! Looks like there's a lot on but later in the afternoon it certainly took shape.

Another couple of hours should see this side arrow straight an ready to prime. Over the moon with the progress. Just a Shame I can't do it as good myself but some things are best left to the professionals

Comment

• More progress although slow... Spent this afternoon filling the boot floor and tank/wheel wells. Nearly ready for some primer now, right ball ache of a job bent over all afternoon.

Passenger side just needs a couple of little bits blocking again

That just leaves me the inside of the rear quarters to tidy up around the arch repairs and that's all the fidley stuff off the list thank god

Comment

• Little bit more done this afternoon, managed to make the boot floor "look factory" and get some primer on.

Making me feel better now some of the difficult parts are out of the way

Hopefully more progress on the outer panels this week if I can get the friendly rasta back round. Feeling like I'm making progress again

Comment

• Comment

• My mates been up and done some more work on the car yesterday. It's really shaping up well now,

Little bit more to do on the swage line on this quarter

This sides just about ready for some polyester spray filler just need to get it in the ramp so he can finish off all the low down bits without having to work on his knees, really happy with how it's looking.

Comment

• Looking good John!

Comment

• Bit more progress made on the old car, both rear quarters, roof and bootlid top coated with polyester spray surfacer. This only really leaves filler work on the drivers door and odd bits on the wings to tidy up.

Il be glad when its all in primer!!!

Comment

• Exelent work,,,,what colour will be it be when painted
                  sigpic

Back with a MK1

Comment

• Diamond white I think Alan, I do like white cars. Everyone keeps telling me to be a bit more exatravagant but I like white lol

Comment

• Good choice

Maybe a RS1800 blue stripe to anoy the pureists,
                      sigpic

Back with a MK1

Comment

• Maybe Alan lol. Anyhow little more steady progress. Decided to refurb tank last night

It's not mint but looks better than it did previously when it was covered in yellow, green, red, blue, white overspray lol

Then today finished off some seam sealing and got some primer inside the car and dash. Will hopefully finish inside the car this week.

Wish I could paint all the inside but its pointless doing it at this stage of prep it would just get ruined

Comment

• Inside car all now fully sealed and primed, feels like a big step for me just to see it all looking a different colour inside, now time to get back on with the outside!

Parcel shelf still needs tweaking a bit straighter bit its getting there slowly

Comment

• good to see more progress there m8
                            comeing closer to full paint
                            dav

Comment

• I've got a bit sick of rubbing filler down last few days so decided to have a change of scenery and refurbed some suspension parts. A load of axle related parts blasted and painted. This is not the original axle out of this car so had to weld the anti tramp brackets on to it.

It's still needs sanding and painting gloss, its just primer in this pic.
                              This was how the other parts turned out.

And now all fitted to the car with new polybushes etc. hopefully have time over Christmas to get all the rear end fully assembled, new brakes fitted and carry on with some more prep work

Comment

• Axle tube turned out nicer than I expected.

Seems a Shame to put it on the car, I wanted to put it on the mantel piece but I wasn't allowed lol

Comment

Working...
                                X