No announcement yet.

Jaffa's Return

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• andrew your car is stunning mate and its seeing yours,parkies,ruddy's,gaz'z etc that spurred me on to get some done on mine .first class fancy coming back to scotland and finishing mine off

Comment

• a real credit to you top work

Comment

• Work has kicked progress in the teeth over the last couple of weeks, but managed to advance a bit over the weekend and am taking the week off to press on.

Gearbox is in after a struggle. The quick-fit solution I used basically didn't work. I followed some info from years ago when I bought the inserts for the bell-houing and M12 cap-head bolts. I can't remember where I got the info from, but it was a reputable source at that time.

It started off when I drilled out the threads in the gearbox eyes and found the bolts were too big for the casting recesses. Out came the lathe from its hibernation and the boltheads were turned down. After some fettling with a Dremel and grinding wheels, I finally got the bolts to fit in from the casing side.

Fitted gearbox under the car and then couldn't get the bolts to align with the threaded inserts in the bell-housing. To cut a long story short, the whole clearance issue was just not panning out. Finally had to admit defeat and take off bell-housing. Mated Gearbox to bell-housing outside of car and used the old cross-member lowering trick to get it all back and fitted. To be honest, even if the bolts had fitted, it would have needed some special tools to get to the upper gearbox bolts. Hats off to peops who have sorted this like Dave and no doubt Kel - I couldn't master it!

Two or three gearbox refits at 30°C were slightly fatiguing to say the least.

Also found that the gaskets I'd bought for the gearbox years ago had shrunk, so had to make up new ones - fortunately having some gasket material to hand!

WIth gearbox and propshaft in, I finished off the fuel line fitting. Can you believe it - after having obtained the correct push-on clips over the rear axle, one of the nipples that you push them on to broke off as I was fitting it! Self tapper rescue team arrived.

Didn't like the floppiness of the fuel line over the rear wheel arch, so introduced a new pipe clip to keep the lines tidy. Suppose car will be "modified" now.

Overall impression:

Comment

• jaffa

Looking real nice mate!! was thinking of doing the same with my gearbox but na ill do it the way it was meant to be.

keep up the good work!!!!!

regards john

Comment

• i like that very good work drew, i can now see the spacers used on the propshaft, they are the same as the ones fitted to my car.
            I agree the fuel lines do seem floppy but i did use two clips to secure line and it doesnt seem too bad

looking great drew
            MK2 member 091, RSOC member 2675, RS18 No 001, HRE7724 /50

My Car in the VbGarage and in My Album

Comment

• Looking awesome there Andrew

Comment

• Originally posted by Banishit View Post
                Looking awesome there Andrew
                agree, smashing work das

Comment

• light at the end of the tunnel Drew,

looks smashing,

cheeRS
                  sigpic

Comment

• Hi,

Thats look one clean car. Well done!!,

Errol

Comment

• Managed to get the dash painted today. It's quite a significant milestone, as I can get on with pedal box, steering column, heater etc., which I didn't want to do whilst there was another interior paint-job waiting.

Was surprised when sanding back to discover that the dash is two-tone (satin and matt). After years of armor-all and Auto Glym both sections had taken on the same shimmer. As the paint flaked off, however, it became clear that the part between coaming and windscreen is matt.

Comment

• it became clear that the part between coaming and windscreen is matt
                        wheres the Matt start then drew ? and whats a coaming ?

Comment

• speaker grill / slots ?
                          CheeRS Neil

Comment

• looks like on the edge under the dash top

Comment

• Coaming is what you smarten your hairing with.

Seriously, the coaming is what you call the dash-top. Coaming I know from planes where it is the bit which extends to throw the ****pit instruments into shade making them more easily readable.

Matt / Semi-Matt division is exactly under this dash-top.

Comment

• learn something everyday thank you oh wise one, should have asked the wee brother hes an airline pilot, then I could have looked not so daft LOL

Comment

Working...
                                X