My Mexico

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Mexico

I thought it was about time I started my restoration thread, I've owned the car since 1990, stripped it straight away to start the restoration then moved away with my job.
    The car then sat in my grandparents garage untouched for the best part of ten years, several moves and stalled re-starts to the restoration so this time its going to get finished, but first I have to sort the new workshop out,
    The car still has its original 1600ohc engine which I've just had rebored, lightened and balanced just waiting for another cylinder head to complete the build.
    It’s had new inner wings, kick panels, Front and slam panel.
    Can't quite make my mind up about the rear arches which are really good apart from the turned lip of the arch which has rotted away in a couple of places.
    Attached Files
    sigpic

looks ok now, just keep the pics coming.

Dave.

Comment

hi

good to see another project on the go
      looks a nice shell .
      am sure it be a minter when ur done..
      dav

Comment

Ok another restart spent this week sorting out the workshop racking installed floors cleared space made for two future projects an 1990 Fiesta XR2i and a 1993 Fiesta RS Turbo. The RS Turbo is arriving on Monday once that's in the back of the workshop the Mexico can go on the spit and all systems go from then. Been using the 4 door a lot lately which has spurred me on with the Mexico.

Watch this space.............
        sigpic

Comment

I'd previously stripped the rear quarter panel and not done anything with it so cleaned it back to nice shiny metal before treating it and coating with some etch primer, the new passengers side wing also needed the same. The dog wasn't too impressed at spending the day down the workshop though. More time to spend on it next week so will update more in the week

Mex.jpgMex.jpg

Mex4.jpg

Mex3.jpg

Mex5.jpg
          sigpic

Comment

Stripped pretty much everything off the car today no real nasty surprises not much in the way of rot, need to get a clutch pedal. On a plus side no new window rubbers needed as the originals are in really good condition. I broke the front screen getting it out but not too bothered as it had started to de-laminate. Just a few photos for you. Nut too sure what to do with the gearbox tunnel someone in the past has got a bit carried away with the hammer

DSCF5107.jpg

DSCF5106.jpg

DSCF5110.jpg

DSCF5112.jpg
            sigpic

Comment

[ATTACH]15721[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]15722[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]15723[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]15724[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]15725[/ATTACH]
              sigpic

Comment

Nothing much achieved yesterday except building my Mk2 Mania spit. Before it goes on the spit I thought I'd repair the rear valance. The rear panel is in good condition and I don't really want to disturb the original joints so did local repairs instead. I know some won't agree with it but just felt it was the better option.

DSCF5144.jpg

DSCF5146.jpg

DSCF5149.jpg

DSCF5155.jpg

DSCF5160.jpg
                sigpic

Comment

Not a lot done today nearside drip rail filler strip fitted, drivers side kick panel strengthener fitted, welded a small plate in where the 80's alarm key was in the rear panel. Trimmed back the slam panel and started to tidy up a few repairs I made about 6 years ago. Then took delivery of a future project a 1990 Fiesta RS Turbo.

DSCF5163.jpg

DSCF5164.jpg

DSCF5165.jpg

DSCF5166.jpg

DSCF5168.jpg
                  sigpic

Comment

[ATTACH]15741[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]15742[/ATTACH]
                    sigpic

Comment

Well, did you finish it? Any further updates?

I've also got a Venetian Red Mexico. Have owned the car since 1979, was my daily driver until mid 90's then took it off the road. After a few years of not using the car because of house purchase etc. I had the car restored in 2010 with my redundancy money.

Comment

Hi Sadly not finished yet but plan on having a bit of a blitz on it in over the next few months, any photos of yours ?
                        sigpic

Comment

Very little has happened with the Mexico over the last months so I have set myself a deadline................ready for rally day Castle Combe 19th September
                          sigpic

Comment

Working...
                          X