WORTHERS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ian parker
    Arron, thankfully i didn,t have that problem, the Beta wasn,t removed at all from the vinyl on the bolsters, when i washed the beta, the vinyl went in as well , albeit with alot of tlc again, very happy with the results, trouble is, i dont want to sit in the things !!
    I think the only problem you may have Ian is that in cleaning the fabric, you will have doubtless added some sort of fluid to them (water with detergent I would imagine) and this will weaken the glue that sticks the backing fabric and the beta facing to either side of the foam layer that is in the middle of these two. What you will most likely find is that the beta facing will pull away from the foam and will then sag over a period of time. Unfortunately there is bugger all you can do about this other than never sit on the seats !

You might want to consider buying a 'gash' pair of seats for whenever you actually want to drive the car (if ever ! ).

Here's a picture of mine - got to restore the subframes and runners this winter - didn't have time to do it last winter ! :

Cheers

Arron.

RSOC Member - 6960

Comment

• sweet

Comment

• Good job there arron,they look well nice!

Comment

• Retrosport still have some of the fabric available if anyone is interested.

RSOC Member - 6960

Comment

• Arron, is that the Aldridge cloth ??, i dont think it looks too bad, Thankfully before the cloth was returned to the trimmer, it was all allowed to dry in the airing cupboard, so i,m confident it all went back totally dry, however, thanks for making me aware, as for the seats, i think i will plonk my bum on them from time to time, as for driving the car, ive said all along, after one year, Worthers will be driven..................................by the guy who buys her

Comment

• What you trying to say Ian??

Comment

• Originally posted by ian parker
                Arron, is that the Aldridge cloth ??, i dont think it looks too bad, Thankfully before the cloth was returned to the trimmer, it was all allowed to dry in the airing cupboard, so i,m confident it all went back totally dry, however, thanks for making me aware, as for the seats, i think i will plonk my bum on them from time to time, as for driving the car, ive said all along, after one year, Worthers will be driven..................................by the guy who buys her
                No it's not Aldridge cloth Ian, I gave up waiting for them to sort themselves out and to be honest I am glad that I did. This stuff came from Retrosport and is an exceptionally good match. The problem Aldridge had was two-fold - 1) they did not get the gold fleck in the brown cloth correct, they bought un-dyed base cloth and then dyed it black or brown, this is not good as the original bitter chocolate has a small 'gold fleck' woven into it, the Aldridge stuff does not look right. 2) Because of current fire regulations etc. they have had to make this fabric with 10mm thick fire retardant foam on the back, this means that when it is stitched into panels for the centre sections on the base and the back of the front seats you end up with a bulge between the stitch lines as opposed to the fabric being flat (as per the original). Doesn't matter with the back seat as this would have had 10mm thick foam on it originally but it looks odd on the fronts. I have a sneaking suspicion that Gerard used Aldridge fabric on the seats of his green car that was concours at ND this year, the problem I have detailed could be seen there.

The material Retrosport have I believe was reproduced in Germany some years ago hence it has the correct thickness foam and was woven from dyed yarn hence it has the correct gold fleck. I only had my fronts recovered as my rear bench was mint already - you really can't tell the difference just to look at the car, obviously it would not stand up to concours scrutineering but then I am not into all that lark !

RSOC Member - 6960

Comment

• Originally posted by arron
                  . I have a sneaking suspicion that Gerard used Aldridge fabric on the seats of his green car that was concours at ND this year, the problem I have detailed could be seen there!
                  the's now't worse than sneaky suspicions
                  sigpic

Comment

No it's not Aldridge cloth Ian, I gave up waiting for them to sort themselves out and to be honest I am glad that I did. This stuff came from Retrosport and is an exceptionally good match. The problem Aldridge had was two-fold - 1) they did not get the gold fleck in the brown cloth correct, they bought un-dyed base cloth and then dyed it black or brown, this is not good as the original bitter chocolate has a small 'gold fleck' woven into it, the Aldridge stuff does not look right. 2) Because of current fire regulations etc. they have had to make this fabric with 10mm thick fire retardant foam on the back, this means that when it is stitched into panels for the centre sections on the base and the back of the front seats you end up with a bulge between the stitch lines as opposed to the fabric being flat (as per the original). Doesn't matter with the back seat as this would have had 10mm thick foam on it originally but it looks odd on the fronts. I have a sneaking suspicion that Gerard used Aldridge fabric on the seats of his green car that was concours at ND this year, the problem I have detailed could be seen there.

The material Retrosport have I believe was reproduced in Germany some years ago hence it has the correct thickness foam and was woven from dyed yarn hence it has the correct gold fleck. I only had my fronts recovered as my rear bench was mint already - you really can't tell the difference just to look at the car, obviously it would not stand up to concours scrutineering but then I am not into all that lark !

if you have a look at my cloth in my resto you will see the blue fleck in the black beta...you don't get that if the lot has been dyed black..
                    i'm very happy with my black beta
                    sigpiccheeRS paul

Comment

• Originally posted by RabC-RS2-77
                      the's now't worse than sneaky suspicions
                      Absolutely - that's not to detract anything from Gerard's car though which was stunning and far better than anything I will ever own.

RSOC Member - 6960

Comment

• Originally posted by RS2000&MEXICO
                        if you have a look at my cloth in my resto you will see the blue fleck in the black beta...you don't get that if the lot has been dyed black..
                        i'm very happy with my black beta
                        Where did yours come from Paul ?

RSOC Member - 6960

Comment

Where did yours come from Paul ?
                          mine come from Aldridge
                          sigpiccheeRS paul

Comment

• worthers

Originally posted by ian parker
                            Arron, is that the Aldridge cloth ??, i dont think it looks too bad, Thankfully before the cloth was returned to the trimmer, it was all allowed to dry in the airing cupboard, so i,m confident it all went back totally dry, however, thanks for making me aware, as for the seats, i think i will plonk my bum on them from time to time, as for driving the car, ive said all along, after one year, Worthers will be driven..................................by the guy who buys her
                            cant beleive your going to part with it after making such an excellent job of the restoration.

Comment

• Originally posted by richie
                              cant beleive your going to part with it after making such an excellent job of the restoration.
                              I know, he's barking mad if you ask me

RSOC Member - 6960

Comment

• Ritchie, i,m only playing, I wouldn,t sell Worthers for all the tea in China , after the one year of showing, dependent on how the cars received, ive got big plans for her, as most people know, the car will be no good in standard concours and no good in mod concours......at present, however my goal is to modify it a smidge more, so it WILL win mod concours , the only caviat i put to this is if a certain 2800 mile white car comes along .......

Comment

Working...
                                X