No announcement yet.

Wedge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Been sorting some old mags out over the weekend for a run to the recycler, came across a Practical Classics from 2002, couldn't beleive there was an article on the TR7V8 that I bought as the donor car for the new shell.

Current progress on the car, headlamp units back in car but waiting for adjusters to come so they are sitting a bit squiffy in the pics, got most of the wiring sorted where the loom was chopped about, or I hope so, will find out when I turn the key.

Primed the oil pump whilst engine on stand, rocker covers off I expected to see a flow of oil over shafts etc but no , rang a few people including John Eales who built the works engines, apparently they run at very low oil pressure and no oil is visible at rockers, you can actually run the engine with rockers covers off and not spray oil everywhere, so to be double sure I removed the rocker shaft and powered pump with electric drill, how far did the oil shoot across the garage ........

Hope to get engine and box in very shortly funds allowing

sigpic

Comment

• simply stunning progress paul, that engine bay in minter than mint

Comment

• impressive as usual Paul, very tidy
        MK2 member 091, RSOC member 2675, RS18 No 001, HRE7724 /50

My Car in the VbGarage and in My Album

Comment

• Not bad son but I'm sure Gizmo would knock points off it for being a bit dirty and untidy
          Cheers

Comment

• Originally posted by Martin View Post
            Not bad son but I'm sure Gizmo would knock points off it for being a bit dirty and untidy
            pmsl
            Ex-Chairman of 'The Clique'

Comment

• looking superb

Comment

• Looking nice there Rodney

Proud to be the RS500 registrar for www.rs500owners.com

Comment

• Progress'ish , not sure I have my engine mounts correct, think its sitting too far back and have clearance issue on gearstick hitting tunnel when going for 2nd and 4th, waiting for confirmation from a few TR guys. The mount can sit forward or behind the subframe mount, I went for back of it but may be the wrong guess

sigpic

Comment

• Looks great

Comment

• great work again paul, keep the pics coming please!
                      sigpic

Comment

• lovely work son

Comment

• stunning job you're doing!!!

Comment

• Enigine looks lovely in there
                            sigpic

Comment

• Now that the snow has gone, well round here anyway, its warmed up enough to venture back into the garage and update this resto thread.

After viewing several TR's at the NEC there still seemed to be uncertainty at the positioning of the engine mounts, apparantly factory has the mount behind the subframe bracket so thats how I have mine now , although it seems a 50/50 spread at the ones I have viewed.

With the engine in its final position I had the manifolds blasted and painted, then fitted. The exhaust system is stainless but not being a fan of shiney I had that blasted as well and painted it grey, just need to fit it now.

The bumpers sit on huge girders, I beleive these were to pass the US crash laws which was the cars intended market, its just about a two man job to lift them, I had the metal blasted and painted then mounted the US spec bumpers to them. The difference between US bumpers and the UK ones are:

UK bumpers are a 3 piece plastic type, US are 1 piece rubber
                              US rear bumpers have built in over riders and protrude further

Its really the front one I prefer as it is much smoother, mounting them to the UK back bar was a bit fiddly, hung them on the car as a trial fit but now they need to go away to be pented black as they are a bit faded, at some point I will fit a new pair but aint got £600 for them at the moment.

Have been working on the carbs, stripped and cleaned, waiting for some gaskets to arrive then they can be fitted.

Had a local hydraulics firm make up a new steel fuel pipe from tank to engine bay, currently I am doing the fuel lines from the feed line to the filter and onto the carbs, trying to convert most of this to swaged banjos and do away with jubilee clips.

I have junked the brake m/cyl to bias valve cunifer pipes as I hated the shape of them, converting these to black Goodridge type hoses instead.

Fitted a new hi-torque starter motor , a new Weber electric fuel pump, put a Cossie battery in the boot, got a Goodridge kit for the clutch master to slave cyl but as usual it didnt fir my m/cyl so having a one off fitting manufactured at my local hydraulic place to convert it.

Still seems a lot to do yet ......

Junked the swage fitting on the left of the filter and changed to banjo as well

sigpic

Comment

• Autumn Has Arrived by Kevin Frost, on Flickr

CHES'S UNDERSTUDY...........

Comment

Working...
                                X