No announcement yet.

Time to get those Rear Springs fitted!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Time to get those Rear Springs fitted!

After finally restoring my car four years ago, I was well into just driving my car to a few shows and generally enjoying it!

Because my car was looking a bit low on the back, 2 years ago I decided to buy a pair of new standard springs to sort out the problem. I also knew that when I fit the springs I would have to face cleaning-up, then repainting the rear axle casing and brake backplate etc, to match the rest of the restored suspension, a job which I have kept putting off because of the nature of the it. After looking at some of the restorations on the go on here, I finally deciding to SORN my car last week to get something moving.

Last Sunday I removed the axle casing complete with springs which came off without any hitches, and yesterday I stripped the lot down to see what's what. Apart from 28 years of grime, the parts are in decent condition, that is apart from one of the springs which turned out to be broken. Years of underseal and oil have helped preserve the parts, but have made it a dirty job to clean up.

I plan to repaint it as standard, tidy up the brake pipes (at present look like spagetti), replace nuts and bolts, and apply fresh waxoyl to hopefully last the next 28 years.

The following pictures show up to the point, just before discovering the broken spring:

Now it's off the road!

Note the surface rust on the end face. This is perhaps a good place to seal up with a bit of gasket sealer to try and prevent moisture getting to the bearing!

Springs before I realised were cracked. Both sides appeared flat in situ, makes it difficult to buy second hand with confidence!

Brake backplates are the most rusted, but should come up ok.

The diff had been leaking oil, so I previously replaced the pinion seal which did not cure the leak. Now I suspect it was the gasket, which can now be replaced.

I fitted new rear wheel bearings 2 years ago.

..............and not to forget the propshaft!

Tim

Looking great Tim.....you will be in concourse before you know it

Keep up the good work, just don't make it too shiny to drive

My cars in the VbGarage

Comment

Fair play your car looks mint underneath Tim, do you need any parts blasting, I've got a small cabinet and access to a bit bigger one , would not take an axle though.

Comment

Originally posted by wayne View Post
        Fair play your car looks mint underneath Tim, do you need any parts blasting, I've got a small cabinet and access to a bit bigger one , would not take an axle though.
        Thanks for your nice comments and offer of parts blasting.

The axle casing is not too bad, but the brake backplates are a bit rusty. This weekend with weather permitting, I'm going to get the rotary brush on to them and see how I get on. If no luck, I may consider the blasting.

Many thanks,

Tim.

Comment

I've found one of the flat rotary wire brushes in an angle grinder is just as good on easy accessible parts with no hard to get at crevices, just watch it when the brush starts breaking up!

Comment

Hi Tim,

The RS looks in fantastic condition...........I'm sure you have the rear-end back in shape in no time.

Good Luck
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by wayne View Post

I've found one of the flat rotary wire brushes in an angle grinder is just as good on easy accessible parts with no hard to get at crevices, just watch it when the brush starts breaking up!
              Thanks Wayne,

Will do, I will make sure I have my safety specs at hand. They can be nasty when they take to the air.

Originally posted by Hoogi View Post

Hi Tim,

The RS looks in fantastic condition...........I'm sure you have the rear-end back in shape in no time.

Good Luck
              Many Thanks for your nice comments Hoogi,

I had the bodywork restored 4 years ago, which included a complete new front end, and in the meantime I have been improving the rest of it.

Weather permitting, nothing should stop me making progress. The only restriction here is that I can't paint outside because of the damp and low temperature this time of the year, but I do have somewhere inside where is suitable.

CheeRS,

Tim.

Comment

Lookin good Tim

just got the engine out of mine this weekend trying to sort my front end out lookin a bid sad now
                sigpic
                RSYoda

Comment

The weather decided to be kind today so I got this done!

These I cleaned up with scraping all the rust and gunge off first, followed by the rotary wire brush and a rotary grit impregnated brush fitted in the electric drill.

Picture shows the broken spring mentioned earlier.

Next Job: The Axle Casing.

Tim.

Comment

Coming along nicely there Tim

My cars in the VbGarage

Comment

keep up the good work

cheeRS
                      sigpic

Comment

good work tim, shame about the spring
                        MK2 member 091, RSOC member 2675, RS18 No 001, HRE7724 /50

My Car in the VbGarage and in My Album

Comment

Originally posted by graham John View Post
                          keep up the good work

cheeRS
                          Originally posted by alminera View Post
                          Coming along nicely there Tim
                          Originally posted by Dave1800BDA View Post
                          good work tim, shame about the spring
                          Thanks for the nice comments guys. The old springs were looking tired and flat anyway Dave, so I bought a pair of new original ones about 3 years ago still in their hession wrapping...........

Really glad I bought them now!

Cheers,

Tim.

Comment

Good buy there Tim....what else do you have stashed away

My cars in the VbGarage

Comment

Originally posted by alminera View Post
                              Good buy there Tim....what else do you have stashed away
                              Nothing, but the odd new fully trimmed Mk2 RS shell! .............I wish!

Comment

Working...
                              X