76 mex

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 76 mex

bought my mexico about 5 years ago , looked pretty solid easy tidy up project! drove it till tax ran out then started the strip down. ended up with a full on rebuild inner& outer sills front scuttle kickpanels pair of wings fronts of floor pans tank well spare wheel well chassis repairs new skid plates rear inner arch repairs replace roof skin (someone had welded a plate in & filled where sun roof had been all welding now done & engine &box 2.1 &5 speed + running gear back on awaiting top coat & putting back together. think it is one of the first ,registered early jan 76 daytona yellow MFJ900P . Does anyone know any history of the car ,its been in the plymouth area 4 several years & is devon registered i think.

You Can Get All That Info From Dvla Fill Out V888 And Send Off With A Fiver Will Come Back 5 To 6 Weeks Later With All History
    Difficult roads often lead to beautiful places

Comment

just put my 78 mex back on her feet,and shes away for paint soon,stripped mine right back and found a few hidden horrors or ten ,nice to see some before and after pics, all the best for an easy rebuild.
      we,re here for a good time-not for a long time!

Comment

cheers for that will have a go at that. hope it goes smoothly want to get it back on the road this summer if poss i think wiring will be worst bit!

Comment

Originally posted by mexicostids View Post
          bought my mexico about 5 years ago , looked pretty solid easy tidy up project! drove it till tax ran out then started the strip down. ended up with a full on rebuild inner& outer sills front scuttle kickpanels pair of wings fronts of floor pans tank well spare wheel well chassis repairs new skid plates rear inner arch repairs replace roof skin (someone had welded a plate in & filled where sun roof had been all welding now done & engine &box 2.1 &5 speed + running gear back on awaiting top coat & putting back together. think it is one of the first ,registered early jan 76 daytona yellow MFJ900P . Does anyone know any history of the car ,its been in the plymouth area 4 several years & is devon registered i think.
          Ive known MFJ900P on and off for over 20 years now. It was a Reed of Paignton car from new and a story about the car has often gone around the loacal RS boys that when the car was being deliverd to the dealer it somehow fell off the transporter on to its roof! While in the body shop being repaired they decided to fit a sliding sunroof ,apparently like the Capri's at the time had could this be the only mk2 Mex with a dealer fitted sliding sunroof? My first encounter with the car was in 1987 whilst driving my 1600 Sport down Torbay road in Paignton a yellow Mk2 was approching from the other direction, daytona yellow,lowerd, four spoke revolutions ,no spots, how a mk2 Mex should like imo It was MFJ and I was in love!! I eventualy caught up with the driver a couple of weeks later and had a chat with him. The engine was a 2.2 pinto, 45s and a big Burton cam, built by a local engine builder at the time called John Hadwick. A very rapid car it was! Around the 1990s the car disapeared. In the mid 1990s Id bought a pub in Blackawton near Dartmouth and there was a guy in the village who did a bit of sealed surface rallying mostly in Cornwall in a mk2 (FRL268L) called Jeff Ford. Around 1998 he purchased a yellow Mex to break for spares so I went and had a look and you've guessed it,it was MFJ! The car was hanging and a right mess,the seven odd years since Id last seen it had taken there toll,it was Jeffs intention to break it,If Id had the money Id have bought it!! it sat in his barn for probably about a year before I bought another pub back in Torbay and never saw the car again presuming it had been scrapped. Im so glad it has'nt Would love to see some pics of it
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by stu37025 View Post
            Ive known MFJ900P on and off for over 20 years now. It was a Reed of Paignton car from new and a story about the car has often gone around the loacal RS boys that when the car was being deliverd to the dealer it somehow fell off the transporter on to its roof! While in the body shop being repaired they decided to fit a sliding sunroof ,apparently like the Capri's at the time had could this be the only mk2 Mex with a dealer fitted sliding sunroof? My first encounter with the car was in 1987 whilst driving my 1600 Sport down Torbay road in Paignton a yellow Mk2 was approching from the other direction, daytona yellow,lowerd, four spoke revolutions ,no spots, how a mk2 Mex should like imo It was MFJ and I was in love!! I eventualy caught up with the driver a couple of weeks later and had a chat with him. The engine was a 2.2 pinto, 45s and a big Burton cam, built by a local engine builder at the time called John Hadwick. A very rapid car it was! Around the 1990s the car disapeared. In the mid 1990s Id bought a pub in Blackawton near Dartmouth and there was a guy in the village who did a bit of sealed surface rallying mostly in Cornwall in a mk2 (FRL268L) called Jeff Ford. Around 1998 he purchased a yellow Mex to break for spares so I went and had a look and you've guessed it,it was MFJ! The car was hanging and a right mess,the seven odd years since Id last seen it had taken there toll,it was Jeffs intention to break it,If Id had the money Id have bought it!! it sat in his barn for probably about a year before I bought another pub back in Torbay and never saw the car again presuming it had been scrapped. Im so glad it has'nt Would love to see some pics of it
            nice story dude.
            Ex-Chairman of 'The Clique'

Comment

great bit of history there,

cheeRS
              sigpic

Comment

Its Like Freinds Reunited!!!:d
                sigpic

Comment

wow thanks stu !!! uve just made my morning! like i said i bought it from a chap in plymouth about 5 /6 years ago ,i was looking 4 a mk 1 rs2000 really but there was nothing around then mfj turned up in the autotrader ,6 months mot 3 months tax . looked quite straight took it for a test drive & it flew,40`s lairy cam etc paid £1100 . the chap i got it off said the previous owner was a member of plymouth motor club & did tarmac night rallys with it. he said it was a 2.1 but wasnt sure.(when cleaning up the engine found the cam was a burton blf40/41 so that ties in with what u r saying !) any way when i started the strip down found it was a lot worse than i thought,loads of bodged repairs& tons of filler & i mean tons it was signal yellow when i got it but when i took the paint code to get paint mixed it was supposed to be daytona . after 41/2 years blood sweat & tears shes booked in for top coat begining of next month !!! will post up some pics in a bit .

Comment

Cant wait to see the pics and hopfully see it in the flesh somtime in the summer,am so glad the car never got scrapped It was one of those cars that everyone in to mk2s in the area knew of. Is there any trace of the sunroof winder handle? although a new headlining presumably would be hiding any holes etc
                    sigpic

Comment

Thought that car was dead and buried long ago. Nice to hear its still going. That car and its driver [shavey] are/were a legend in torbay
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by cyd1245 View Post
                        Thought that car was dead and buried long ago. Nice to hear its still going. That car and its driver [shavey] are/were a legend in torbay
                        Fisrt time I saw you was down Torbay road too! 1989 if I remember
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by stu37025 View Post
                          Fisrt time I saw you was down Torbay road too! 1989 if I remember
                          I had dvf, you still had the sport, just before you bought the red 2000 you wrapped round a street light
                          sigpic

Comment

no signs of the sun roof handle but the roof was in a right state ! plate welded in &it took two of us to lift the skin off still got a chunk of filler 3/4 of an inch think out of it will put some pics on when i get the hang of it !

Comment

Originally posted by mexicostids View Post
                              no signs of the sun roof handle but the roof was in a right state ! plate welded in &it took two of us to lift the skin off still got a chunk of filler 3/4 of an inch think out of it will put some pics on when i get the hang of it !
                              Ideal looking forward to them
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X