My mk1 73 Le mans green Mexico

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• found it

well the normal buy new house, do things that really needed doing on new house, get crap out of garage into new house (this takes a while and is unfortunatley dependant on how may jobs you do on the new house )
    rebuild new garage, rewire, new doors, windows, floor etc etc has been completed and shock horror the cars back !!

and shock horror, Ive picked my engine up from the machine shop !!

so I'm back on it

car back

engine build area

engine

going to have to lie down now
    Cheers Glyn

Comment

• Looking forward to seeing this get going again mate

Comment

• Very clean and minimalistic. Lovely car I'm sure too.
        sigpic

Comment

• love the garage son, oh and the car aint bad either
          Ex-Chairman of 'The Clique'

Comment

• Yeah love the car and this garage....even a decent sound system to listen to while you work on the car.

Comment

• Wondered how this was doing?

Must have an update seeing as your post was back in April!?

Probably driving around in it yeh?
              Cheers

Dazzle

Comment

• Any news on this at all?

Comment

• Originally posted by LincolnDanny View Post
                  Any news on this at all?
                  Its going as quickly as your project!

Comment

• Originally posted by Tim View Post
                    Its going as quickly as your project!
                    hahahahaha hahaha haha ha

oh

Comment

• oh there it is

have been doing a few bits no bobs on the old girl over the last year or so.....

first due to my mk2 mex blowing a strut this prompted me to order 4 new inserts 2 for the black one and thought I may as well get a couple for the green one so first of all casings painted up in 2k as in previous pic

bits

new bearings pressed into black anodised Hi Spec hubs (cheers Steve )

disc middle and vanes painted up

had to build them up twice as first time the disc was hitting the caliper all stripped down and had the outside of the disc skimmed by 1mm and we was there, also bought some Gartrac adjustable TCA's and they rebuilt my original long stem rack, so I painted them up as well

new henry bearing caps, studs, green stuff pads and henry roller top mounts - finished off with some new Billy decals

Cheers Glyn

Comment

• next was the engine.................this basically was why the project had stalled amongst other things

as this is basically what I'm involved in day to day I have been rather fussy about building the engine exactly how I want it which has meant taking a while

block checked, index bored to plus 90, decked (but left original engine number) lightly skimmed frt face (check previous before pic in thread to see why) fully cleaned and new core plugs, gallery plugs

bought shiny things to go with collection of shiny things previously hoarded

Cheers Glyn

Comment

• block and rods were measured and found to be in spec - bought some new Forged 83.5mm Wossner pistons, these were measured and select fit to bores to ensure close to median running clearance then they were weighed and matched to rods (rods, crank, flywheel and clutch cover were all dynamically balanced at Vulcan) so rods were all pretty good

next bearings were dummy fitted to block and crank was cleaned + measured and checked running clearances were calculated and all good so fitted crank

checking endfloat

Cheers Glyn

Comment

• keep going Glyn, we are reading

Comment

• next up fitted new Kent 244 cam and followers, vernier cam gear set new shims, fitted bearings to rods, checked running clearances all ok and fitted pistons to rods and fitted assys to engine with new ARP bolts

(at this point noted the pick up pipe was hitting the new slightly larger ARP bolts so had to modify it a tad

using "deadstop" to find true TDC

setting cam timing and adjusting vernier

fitted cleaned and painted original oilpan, alt bracket and new vapour blasted front and rear seal carriers, fitted with new seals and cometic gaskets fitted original (but now skimmed) flywheel with ARP bolts and new AP clutch and balanced cover, fitted RS cast front pulley and NOS motorcraft waterpump

Cheers Glyn

Comment

• measured crown to blocks at this point and checked CR and it's come out about 11:1 so pleased with that

fitted ARP stud kit and painted up cyl head - this is an ex hot rod head that was originally built by Dave Rowe back in the 80's that Vulcan have machined out for me to take unleaded seats and 41.3 Inlet and 35mm exhaust valves and also fitted new guides new Ajusa 84mm head gasket

stripped original rocker shaft and cleaned, inspected an rebuilt with new burton shaft, steel posts and alloy spacers

fitted

Cheers Glyn

Comment

Working...
                                X