HGD 216T Rally rebuild.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

looks good

“The great thing about the sierra is, it has all the mechanical simplicity of a knife and fork” Quentin Willson

Comment

Originally posted by graham John View Post
      or a large Burger and Garlic fries .....

cheeRS
      oh yes

your getting on well with the build, watching with interest as I have to do the same things your doing LOL

Comment

Looking good mate,keep the pics coming.If you get demoralised have alook at my Rally car rebuild under "Project RAC 2007"
        Coming upto 19 months from when started.
        Cheers Skids Yorkshire Rally Mafia Team
        sigpic

Comment

Thanks for the comments so far.

Thought about making up my own reinforcements for the pan tops but ended up sourcing a set from Auto Insight.

Once welded in should provide some extra strengthening.

Inner wings were given a coat of anti rust primer, high build etch, Stone chip paint and beige primer before the diamond white paint went on.

New wing tops were blended in with a skim of filler and brackets for strut brace migged in.

Comment

top job

Comment

them inner wing top panels don't look to bad to fit...
              sigpiccheeRS paul

Comment

top work keep it up

Comment

great welding skills....looks a great job...keep the pics coming.....are the inner wings tops from expressed steel?

Comment

The inner wing tops were from expressed steel. When i ordered them i was told to expect 3 weeks delivery but they arrived within the week.

The fitting is fine as quality is good, seems to follow the shape of the inner wing really well.

I dry built everything up around the top and also cut a strip of metal and placed along the top corner of bulhead as can be seen in photo.
                    For me it helped to get a feel visually on the alignment but i picked several points from chassis rail to wing top along the length to measure against.
                    The angle to the outer wing is the part i questioned many times as i was mating up the tops to Hadrian panels that certainly had differences in comparison with previous panels.
                    I also made up a cut out for a new radiator xmember and welded in a set of bolts from underneath so the oil cooler could be mounted. Saves fiddling about with the bolts and them dropping down at a later date. Did the same with the bolts for holding the radiator in.

Comment

great work looking good

Comment

Front end under the arches near enough completed.

The first coat completed under the bonnet in diamond white and now feel that progress has been made with the panels in place.

Comment

you dont mess about do you LOL

nice job mate, got my welder now awaiting the full tops from Express

Comment

Looking superb this, Is exactly what I am going to do with mine over the winter months. Glad to know the tops fit a treat. Question though, Can you get them in both large hole and small hole or is it one size fits all????
                            Autumn Has Arrived by Kevin Frost, on Flickr

CHES'S UNDERSTUDY...........

Comment

Rally rebuild

Good work that. Nice to see skills being used to save a shell that would have put a few off.

CheeRS,

Joe.
                              sigpic

Comment

My understanding is that the tops are one size and then you would fit the reinforcement plate with either the 84mm or 108mm hole.
                                Best bet would be to contact ex-pressed steel panels for clarification.

Comment

Working...
                                X