I've started..what have I done???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mexicomark View Post
    Kieran if the car has a laminated screen you will need to cut the rubber out first otherwise you will crack the screen if you try to push it out.
    yep its laminated, haven't touched the front screen yet. Thanks for the heads up.

Originally posted by Andyc View Post
    It was yellow at some time then K ?
    nope, thats the waxoil. Car has been covered in the stuff by a previous owner.

my_car_in_the_vBGarage

Comment

Well I popped back out to the garage today, eek twice in one week at this rate the car will be done in no time

Thought I would have a go at taking my windscreen out, so with this in mind I set about it following the trusted Haynes book.
      Well it all went wrong and half way into it, the screen decided it had enough and put a small thin crack in it.
      I thought to myself oh well, so then just kicked it out after that

So another thing to add to my shopping list, no point mulling over it these things are sent to try us

my_car_in_the_vBGarage

Comment

Frosty will be taking more money off ya for a new screen then!
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by petrolhead View Post
          Frosty will be taking more money off ya for a new screen then!
          doh, only if he has a wash
          Think I will leave it for now, knowing what I'm like I will buy one and then drop a hammer on it

my_car_in_the_vBGarage

Comment

Oops

“The great thing about the sierra is, it has all the mechanical simplicity of a knife and fork” Quentin Willson

Comment

Originally posted by mike77cos View Post
              Oops
              thats what I said but my Oops sounded more like uck with an F

my_car_in_the_vBGarage

Comment

You are not the first to do that Kieran

Chin up
                cheeRS
                Ian
                sigpic

"Live everyday as if it was your last, because one of these days, it will be."
                Jeremy Schwartz.

"Better to burn out than fade away"

Comment

Really glad you didn't sell. Stick with it bud.

Comment

Originally posted by hotrs2000 View Post
                    Well I popped back out to the garage today, eek twice in one week at this rate the car will be done in no time

Thought I would have a go at taking my windscreen out, so with this in mind I set about it following the trusted Haynes book.
                    Well it all went wrong and half way into it, the screen decided it had enough and put a small thin crack in it.
                    I thought to myself oh well, so then just kicked it out after that

So another thing to add to my shopping list, no point mulling over it these things are sent to try us
                    Only 2 screens left son. Best get in quick.
                    Autumn Has Arrived by Kevin Frost, on Flickr

CHES'S UNDERSTUDY...........

Comment

Originally posted by Frosticles View Post
                      Only 2 screens left son. Best get in quick.
                      cheers for the offer son but not going to buy one just yet as chances are I will damage it while in storage, might go for a heated one anyway as you know I will use it during the winter when its back on the road.

Done a little bit more today, my friend finally gave me back my engine hoist so I took the engine, gearbox out and all the front suspension off.
                      Decided to do it in one go and lifted the car off the lot, a lot easier that lifting the engine out.

As I had a spare engine X-member I added two castor wheels to it and then put this X-member back on so I can still wheel the car about.

some pics

my_car_in_the_vBGarage

Comment

quick up date
                        managed to get back out to the garage yesterday, so I set about removing the axle and rear shocks.
                        whilst undoing the top nut on the O/S/R shock the nut became very stiff and refused to move, i even managed to break a spanner when I tried to force it
                        So I thought bugger this and got the grinder out and just cut the nut off.

Axle came out really easy, I have left the leaf springs on as I have attached another couple of caster wheels to the leaf springs, I undid the central locating pin and used the hole to bolt the caster wheel to the spring.

So I now have a stripped RS, just need to buy some stuff to take it back to bare metal now.
                        What have others used, seen some stuff in the FROST cat called POR-Strip along with the other POR products (POR15).

Hope to get out again later today (when I wake up) to have a good poke about the chassis.

my_car_in_the_vBGarage

Comment

sounds like your getting there

“The great thing about the sierra is, it has all the mechanical simplicity of a knife and fork” Quentin Willson

Comment

Isn't this done yet?
                            Autumn Has Arrived by Kevin Frost, on Flickr

CHES'S UNDERSTUDY...........

Comment

Well popped back out again and started taking the engine bay back to bare metal.
                              Worked mainly on the areas I knew had rust as wanted to see how bad it really was.
                              Using strip discs on a drill but still takes an age, done three days and so far cleaned most of the heater bubble and N/S inner wing with a bit on the O/S lower section inner wing as this is where most of the rust seems to be.

Well had to cut it short today as the generator run out of fuel

Looks like it has had some minor work on the top mounts before but these haven't been replaced and at some point it has had new wing rails but these will need replacing again. Battery tray was already removed when I got the car but they didn't clean up the area very well.
                              I might put the battery tray back but thats a long way off at the mo so knowing me I well change my mind.

Have stripped most of the paint but the waxoil is the hardest stuff to shift.
                              Here are some pics to be getting on with.
                              Before

three days later

heater bubble, not much rust, just a wee bit along the rain channel

N/S inner wing

O/S inner wing

This is the worst of my engine bay rust, hope to be able to save the inner wing.

Well thats it for now

my_car_in_the_vBGarage

Comment

K diesel is good to soften up the waxoil ,can be a bit messy but let it soak in and scrape off the majority then wipe off the residue (need lots of old rag)
                                Tip from Mr Frost
                                CheeRS Neil

Comment

Working...
                                X