RS2000 over winter TLC.. and a bit of a yarn

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RS2000 over winter TLC.. and a bit of a yarn

After being stored for a couple of years I think it's about time my 2000 was given a bit of TLC.

A few people in the scene know about this car but I'll give you all a brief run down.....

I first saw the car as a 11 years old back in 1980, it belonged to my neighbour. He had aquired her though his work as a Ford Mechanic and had bought her earlier in 1980 from it's second owner.

Sold this Mex to get her.. UYN650M for £1550 to a Mr L Mule (Still around I wonder?..)

Wish he'd kept the seats..

Anyway in 1986 with 44000 miles on the clock he aquired a new Xr2 and popped the RS into storage.....

Over the years the RS would occasionally have a leg stretch around the block. (Exhaust had rotted after a few years so I'd aways hear it start up.)

Whenever I was back visiting my parents I chat with their neighbour and suggest it was about time he sold me the old banger in the garage.... when in about 1997 I recieved the phone to say he'd lost the stoarage and I had first refusal... Which I did, I turned down the chance I was explaining I couldn't afford another car and was about dismiss the whole idea when my wife took the phone and said we'd have it....

Seems I'd gone on and on about the car ever since I'd known her and there was no chance I wasn't going to have it so my wife spent her first work bonus and bought it for me. I was a happy chap to say the least.

So after a week I was at his doorstep to pick her up. This was taken the day he bought the car back in 1980 and was where she was when I arrived with the trailer.

He'd said he was sick of people knocking his door in the week or so it had been sat there offering him cash for it.

Anyway the deal was done and home she came. I have no pictures of her as this was pre camara phones etc and to be honest I stuck her in the garage and left her.

So roll on one house move and a few years and it was time to get her on the road. After replacing the water hoses, battery, aand brake and then having an original style exhaust made up I took her to Ben at Morley Motors and she passed her first, I have to say very kind MOT in March 2005 after 20 years in storage. Mileage was at 45215 and driving home the speedo cable gave out.

Over the last 7 years I haven't done 1000 miles in her!! Shameful really I know but now the time and place is right to get her to a point where she will be used as my weekend toy. Want her reliable (?) and fun so have a list of thing to do over the winter.

Nothing reallly has been renewed over the years other than what I ve mentioned and a water pump and Cambelt so things need doing now really.

Anyway heres some pics from today.

In her latest long term garage

Put a Lincon Battery on and she fired up after a couple of turns.

First big thing is going to be sort this Ziebart out.... Any advice would be cool, Figuring heat, scrapper and petrol?

As you can see she in fine unmessed with condition and this over the years has been the problem. I have finally settled on a plan of action that involves Bubble arches, full welded in cage and zetec conversion......

Only kidding

She's going to get a light going over mainly Suspension stuff, everything is original so it's about time really.

Anyone got any NOS stuff?

Anyway a couple more pics for today

And finally one from when she was last on the road 2 years ago.

Getting bored with the idiots

very nice story is it still on its original paintif so its lasted well should be an easy resto for you

Comment

One of the best colours for a mk 1 medina green

Comment

Lookin good bud, can't wait to see it out. Love Modena mk1's

Comment

Nice looking car you have there.

Comment

Originally posted by RHK SHELLSPORT View Post
            One of the best colours for a mk 1 medina green
            it's modena green son
            Ex-Chairman of 'The Clique'

Comment

Thats a great story,thanks for sharing it.
              My mexico had been preserved with ziebart and had been in long term storage.This is how it looked under the bonnet.

I used petrol in an atomiser and lots of elbow grease.

Comment

Lovely original car!

Comment

sweet

yep mex is still about, nearly bought it a few years back and it still had the seats fitted, think the owner comes on here sometimes, he definatley used the avo site

Comment

Cheers for all the replies chaps. yeah she's lovely and about 90% original paint. Front wing replaced back in 1980 ish due to bubbly arch.

So Kas how did you remove the Ziebart? The underside of the bonnet is about 1/4 inch thick!!!

Comment

Originally posted by vinny View Post
                      sweet

yep mex is still about, nearly bought it a few years back and it still had the seats fitted, think the owner comes on here sometimes, he definatley used the avo site
                      WOW!! That fantastic. Would love to see it now.

Comment

Originally posted by Hoonabator View Post
                        WOW!! That fantastic. Would love to see it now.
                        here u go, took these went i went to view it must have been 6/7 years ago

Comment

Originally posted by Hoonabator View Post
                          Cheers for all the replies chaps. yeah she's lovely and about 90% original paint. Front wing replaced back in 1980 ish due to bubbly arch.

So Kas how did you remove the Ziebart? The underside of the bonnet is about 1/4 inch thick!!!
                          thinners or petrol its a dirty job

Comment

Originally posted by vinny View Post
                            here u go, took these went i went to view it must have been 6/7 years ago

Don't know what to say? That is fantastic. Clive the guy I bought from
                            would be made up with that. He's a Ford guy through and through and would love that his old Mex was alive and well.

Thanks for the pics hopefully the current owner will see this thread. I actually have the receipt for it's sale in my records.

Comment

Managed an hour this evening on the car.

Have to say I'm really happy with this

Very quick session with a warm air gun and white sprite. It's going to take a while but will be so worth it

Comment

Working...
                              X