US Orders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• US Orders

What experience have you folks have with ordering new or used stuff from (N) America, especially regarding customs.

I have bought lots of stuff in the past and it worked ok for me then..

I bought a new Gibson acoustic and made a big saving but got hit for duty and handling when it landed the UK. Other smaller parts arrived without any duty and handling charges but in recent times most things are picked out so the deals are a little less good when that is taken into account.

One way of lessening the impact of duty is to ask the vendor to mark the value down on the customs form although they won't always do this as its a federal offence.

Comment

I've also bought quite a few bits from overseas and a lot can depend on the size of the item and who the courier is. Small stuff that is sent in normal post can often sneak through without any duty but larger bits sent by couriers like DHL etc is nearly always checked and charged for duty. As KAS says it all depends on the value that the sender puts on the customs declaration, I think things under a certain value, something like 30 quid or so are duty free or exempt.

All the best, Neil.
      Neil Fletcher Racing
      sigpic

Comment

I bought some stuff and it was a huge saving but then the import tax bill arrived (TNT) and it was £194 so in the end it would of been cheaper getting it here. If they do mark the value down and it gets lost you lose out that way too
        Difficult roads often lead to beautiful places

Comment

I've had items sent and had no issues .they have always been marked as a gift but if it gets lost then it's your loss

Comment

If it is a large item, and especially car parts or sports equipment they get thoroughly checked and the HMRC bend you over and give you the full works
            Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by Martin View Post
              If it is a large item, and especially car parts or sports equipment they get thoroughly checked and the HMRC bend you over and give you the full works

Comment

I'm in the US 4 to 5 times a year and on average it's like for like in £'s and $'s, equate the exchange rate and your saving about a third.
                Sales tax varies from state to state and even county. Florida, has some of the lowest sales tax, which is great for us holidaying Brits. The county I'm in has 7%, but if I travel 20 mins to the next county I'm only charged 6%.

It's the Britsh end that stuffs you, 20% sales tax, VAT! Then you might get import duties plus add shipping and your nearly at original UK list price.

If the items your after are small enough, my advise is take yourself and/or family on a holiday to the US and bring a case back full of contraband . I think you allowance is £750 worth, but don't quote me on this. Loads of people bring back Apple products, clothes etc worth £1000's and don't get pulled.

On another note, check exchange rate, the £ to $ has bombed the last few months, in the summer it was 1.70, recently it hit 1.51, last year we had a 1.45, so do your sums and work out if it's really going to save you.

Comment

Get the sender to do this

Mark the customs declarations as follows

Samples of no commercial value.

Value for customs purpose $25.00

Comment

Got a brand new RS2 Quattro turbo home from Florida a fortnight ago. Was told all woes of being charged this and that by the time it reached me. Courier delivered it to me at work and never mentioned any charges. Asked him whether i should expect any and he said 'no'. I know this isn't normal procedure but i telleth the truth...

Comment

Originally posted by brizer View Post
                      Got a brand new RS2 Quattro turbo home from Florida a fortnight ago. Was told all woes of being charged this and that by the time it reached me. Courier delivered it to me at work and never mentioned any charges. Asked him whether i should expect any and he said 'no'. I know this isn't normal procedure but i telleth the truth...
                      Lucky fella.

I didn't pay anything on my used cossie flywheel (20 USD) but once bought an ACCEL coil and German customs made me pay duty on both the item and the carriage, which I was well aggrieved at, fair comment regards the item, but not the carriage.

Comment

Working...
                      X