Advice on base car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice on base car

As above is it worth searching out a rs model or 16 sport when i/ you intend to either arch the car or add an engine that is non standard ?? Only asking as surely if its altered it looses it originality and therefore the v word // value. IE if an rs2000 is no longer wearing its nose cone is it an rs ? Had a look on here to see if its been asked but not found the answer ( i do not want to start an arguement just a discussion ) ,,,, will ry to keep up with the answers but on my way oop north to mull for the rally and intend to buy something on my return, just to add i understand re additional strenthening plates and suspension differences. Suppose the question is , is a 13 gl shell with all the bits ie zetec or s2000 engined and caged and arched car worth that much less than say a mexico with the above work done ? thanks for reading , jim

v short answer - imho if your going to modify heavily ie mondeo engine, arch's etc dont bother getting an RS as you'll take its value out messing with it unless it's messed with already

your better of just finding a sound base be it std or already modified

that all said if your only going to modify a bit ie what I refer to as "period mods" - DCOE's, better brakes, suspension etc, unless you have started with a concours winner it wont affect the value on a genuine RS and will probably enhance it (a little bit)

hope it helps
    Cheers Glyn

Comment

Its only a log book that adds clout

Many pop-L-GL etc end up RS due to cashing in

My advice is buy the best you can for as little as possible

Comment

Spoken like a true Yorkshire man
        sigpic

Back with a MK1

Comment

Originally posted by Blower View Post
          Its only a log book that adds clout

Many pop-L-GL etc end up RS due to cashing in

My advice is buy the best you can for as little as possible
          Not too sure about that, a genuine RS shell is different, apparently with the RS part no. on the floorpan and the number of (bodyshell), the mods required to get a standard shell up to RS spec is more than you'd think too.

As regards buying an RS or Sport.
          You need to know just want you want from the car before you buy, there's not much point buying a vgc / mint Sport or RS to then basically devalue the car by modifying it (bodyshell/major mods).
          Even 2-door Sports fetch good money now as not that many survived, and even fewer in unmolested condition.

As said, if the long-term plan is to modify (incl. major body mods), then it's best to pick up an already modified car as it'll probably cost less and you won't be cutting up a perfectly good shell just to have a modified Mk2 that you might not hang on to anyway.

Comment

You may wish to consider the insurance value , as I have a modified 1600 sport with a Zetec lump and got a good agreed value , but somebody on another forum with a base car that was pretty much the same as mine could only get an agreed figure around 50% of mine . Just something to think about .
            sigpic

Comment

I would buy a good SA sport maybe Nordic blue one

Comment

Good reply steve ;-);-):-);-) never say never mate

Comment

Interesting reading people's perspectives on this.. I've seen Ozzie shells (solid and very good) sell in the uk for right money.. Which gives a cracking base...
                  Alternatively chop a Rs around and make what you want from that, the value thing due to modern engines etc I don't agree with... The signal rs2000 that sold a bit ago was running a duratec and was a very sorted car... But still not cheap
                  sigpic

Comment

Buy a pop & leave the RS's alone if that is your plan.
                    Autumn Has Arrived by Kevin Frost, on Flickr

CHES'S UNDERSTUDY...........

Comment

Base models are always in better condition than rs models as the owners aren't rally wannabee ditch finders and you can't stress a bodyshell with 50bhp , lol .
                      Defo get a 1.1 or 1.3 and then mod the hell out of it . Mine's valued at £25,000 by the insurance company last week so they are worth more than an Rs as well .
                      sigpic 2.1 ATMO YB POWER .
                      Tick tock goes the clock and the clock don't lie .
                      12.4sec to 109mph With NO turbo , NO gay trailer , NO slicks , NO gas , NO race fuel and NO bits missing . Beat that !!!!

Comment

Originally posted by bigbadsquare View Post
                        You may wish to consider the insurance value , as I have a modified 1600 sport with a Zetec lump and got a good agreed value , but somebody on another forum with a base car that was pretty much the same as mine could only get an agreed figure around 50% of mine . Just something to think about .
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by mk1gaz View Post
                          Base models are always in better condition than rs models as the owners aren't rally wannabee ditch finders and you can't stress a bodyshell with 50bhp , lol .
                          Defo get a 1.1 or 1.3 and then mod the hell out of it . Mine's valued at £25,000 by the insurance company last week so they are worth more than an Rs as well .
                          F**k me ! mk1gaz talking sense !
                          sigpic

Comment

buy a porsche
                            Ex-Chairman of 'The Clique'

Comment

Originally posted by Chesney View Post
                              DONT buy a porsche
                              Difficult roads often lead to beautiful places

Comment

Working...
                              X