X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rise in Road Tax ??

Taken from a motor club newsletter

Big Road Tax Increases Coming
    New car buyers battered by price increases since the £ started dropping last year are now going to be
    hit by significant hikes in road tax from April 1st. In 2001 a new system was introduced basing the
    tax on emissions, or perhaps I should say “claimed” emissions? In 2001 the average new car emissions
    were 178 grams of CO2 per km, now its 125 grams. In 2003 it was announced that cars emitting
    under 100 grams would pay no road tax at all, and this has become a high proportion since then.
    The EU target is average emissions of 95 grams by 2020, so Government revenues from Road Tax,
    having already fallen sharply, are to fall further still. Eventually the Treasury have decided enough
    is enough, so a new system comes into effect on April 1st. The first year rate on a 99 gram car goes
    from zero to £120, and then to £140 from the second year on. £140 is the rate from year 2 on all
    cars, but those emitting more than 255 grams get a Year 1 rate of £2000 against £1120 currently.
    But there’s more! Should your new car have a retail price of over £40000 then a surcharge of £310
    will be payable for each of the first 5 years. So effectively a 255 gram car priced at £40000+ will
    cost £4110 for 5 years against £3180 currently.
    Cars registered by March 31st are unaffected for all of their lives (currently!) so there will be a rush
    to buy in March followed by a very quiet April. And cars pre registered in March, particularly expensive
    ones, will be much in demand. That of course is if people are aware of these impending
    changes – a recent survey showed that only 8% of potential new car buyers are!
    The Treasury expect that as a result of these changes they will be pulling in an extra £1 billion a
    year by 2020, good to know that all the money raised will be spent on repairing pot holes – if only!!
    sigpic

Back with a MK1

Can't beat Ozzie rego
    sigpic

Comment

I think this system has been basically unfair for quite some time now. I do about 4,000 miles per year and my 2005 1800LX Mondeo costs me £230 per year to tax whilst you can enjoy a nice spec £27,000 BMW on the road for £30. I can't justify or even afford to buy a £27,000 car, so is it fair that the guy that can't afford to buy a new car is clobbered for excessive road tax to pay for other peoples new cars instead? It certainly does not help me save up for the nice new efficient car that I would love to own!

Tim

Comment

Only way a round this rip off

My suggestion would be to stock up on all retro FORD cars and vans that are already or heading towards their 40th birthday. (Tax Free).

Goverenment will only waste this ripped off cash on sh- -e pavement art works that 99% of tax payers could not give a monkeys about!

Even poor condition un reliable cars that you can eake a year or two out off will be more cost effective and fun. (Whats the rush for a powerfull expensive car, there's a plod round every corner scanning you for fines.

Best Regards
        Phill
        AVO 5001

Comment

Old cars are Sh1te in the Winter.......
          Autumn Has Arrived by Kevin Frost, on Flickr

CHES'S UNDERSTUDY...........

Comment

Originally posted by Frosticles View Post
            Old cars are Sh1te in the Winter.......
            But a least your 2000 wouldn't of overheated in the winter
            CheeRS Neil

Comment

Originally posted by 191964 View Post
              But a least your 2000 wouldn't of overheated in the winter
              Very true, you do have a good point son
              Autumn Has Arrived by Kevin Frost, on Flickr

CHES'S UNDERSTUDY...........

Comment

Originally posted by RS2000EXPRESS View Post
                I think this system has been basically unfair for quite some time now. I do about 4,000 miles per year and my 2005 1800LX Mondeo costs me £230 per year to tax whilst you can enjoy a nice spec £27,000 BMW on the road for £30. I can't justify or even afford to buy a £27,000 car, so is it fair that the guy that can't afford to buy a new car is clobbered for excessive road tax to pay for other peoples new cars instead? It certainly does not help me save up for the nice new efficient car that I would love to own!

Tim
                Buy a cheaper older car with £30 tax then you dont have to spend 27k for the privilege

I cant afford to buy a new car either-so bought an 04 Clio diesel-good fuel economy and £30 tax-dont care what it looks like its just my daily hack there's loads of cheap options-if you can afford 27k on a new car a couple of hundred for tax is **** all is it?

Is this only for new cars after April then-older cars like mine wont be affected-ie all of a sudden i'm forced to pay a load more-unfair if so thats the main reason i bought it.

Comment

Bit More Info

sigpic

Back with a MK1

Comment

Originally posted by JJM View Post
                    Buy a cheaper older car with £30 tax then you dont have to spend 27k for the privilege

I cant afford to buy a new car either-so bought an 04 Clio diesel-good fuel economy and £30 tax-dont care what it looks like its just my daily hack there's loads of cheap options-if you can afford 27k on a new car a couple of hundred for tax is **** all is it?

Is this only for new cars after April then-older cars like mine wont be affected-ie all of a sudden i'm forced to pay a load more-unfair if so thats the main reason i bought it.
                    My ex wife can't afford a new car either so she has a Clio on a 55 plate, she pays £135 per year for hers, so I don't understand why you are only paying £35!

Tim

Comment

Is it diesel tho-mines a dci and the £30 tax was my main purchasing point-just typed '£30 tax' into Ebay's cars section and found one in my town for £900-well it was £1100 but knocked him down. And if i get 5 years out of it without too much trouble i'll have saved £500+ on tax-plus its been super reliable the 7 months i've owned it-even recently went thru mot with no advisories so i guess i've been lucky-probably break down tomorrow lol.

I wanted a Fiesta Zetec S tdci but they were quite pricey-nice little motor and still £30 tax.

Comment

Like this-mines a 4 door otherwise the same-and cheaper.

Comment

Originally posted by JJM View Post
                          Is it diesel tho-mines a dci and the £30 tax was my main purchasing point-just typed '£30 tax' into Ebay's cars section and found one in my town for £900-well it was £1100 but knocked him down. And if i get 5 years out of it without too much trouble i'll have saved £500+ on tax-plus its been super reliable the 7 months i've owned it-even recently went thru mot with no advisories so i guess i've been lucky-probably break down tomorrow lol.

I wanted a Fiesta Zetec S tdci but they were quite pricey-nice little motor and still £30 tax.
                          My goodness, they are making out that diesels are more polluting now, so why is she paying a £100 more for her petrol version???? I appreciate it's a great benefit to you but isn't it so unfair for petrol owners!

p.s. The Clios are great little cars, so many older ones still running about on our roads!

Thanks for the link, that's interesting!

Find your car model's tax in Parkers' handy VED and road tax calculator: search by make and model

Tim

Comment

I know its weird-but based on emissions as shown in your link-diesels are a lot cleaner than the smaller petrol variant-so i dunno how they think they are more polluting-unless its something other than CO2?

Comment

The good old boys in goverment have realised how much money they are losing with the so called green rules the brought in so are now scrambeling to claw back some funds before thet submit their expences
                              sigpic

Back with a MK1

Comment

Working...
                              X