No announcement yet.

Whats up with our roads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nowt will ever happen any way ,,,, Road tax,, fuel duty and speed camera and parking fines will keep the government coffers to a reasonable level
    sigpic

Back with a MK1

Comment

i've noticed the same bits of road being dug up again and again! i know of 2 water leaks that have been done at least 5 times and they are still leaking ? and the tarmac repairs must have been done in the dark. roads are being neglected and where is the money going then ?
      what i need is a high horse like the others have !

Comment

Send all freight by rail.
        Autumn Has Arrived by Kevin Frost, on Flickr

CHES'S UNDERSTUDY...........

Comment

Originally posted by alancdavis View Post
          Just had a week working in Germany ,, great roads with no holdups and constant free flowing traffic

Home to day and the M6 was a bloody car park
          Just been in Spain for 2 weeks on bikes Alan.
          Brilliant roads, no potholes or gravel, didn't sit in a traffic jam once
          Sailed back to Portsmouth then sat in traffic jams or on average speed camera routes for 5 hours
          Please please please can I be in the 'Clique'

Comment

Originally posted by Frosticles View Post
            Yes , that is usually the next joke they come up with after no car tax & put it on fuel instead .
            But all of those stupid ideas keep coming up because some motorists only think whats best for themselves & have absolutely no clue about the whole thing .

Comment

Originally posted by FLATCAP40 View Post
              Sailed back to Portsmouth then sat in traffic jams or on average speed camera routes for 5 hours
              You were riding a bike!!! - you don't sit in traffic......it slows you down that's all and average speed cameras can't touch us due to using forward facing cameras! Use caution obviously but ride at your own speed!

Comment

Originally posted by Frosticles View Post
                Agree,,
                sigpic

Back with a MK1

Comment

Originally posted by katana View Post
                  You were riding a bike!!! - you don't sit in traffic......it slows you down that's all and average speed cameras can't touch us due to using forward facing cameras! Use caution obviously but ride at your own speed!

Why cant they touch us .. ?
                  sigpic

Back with a MK1

Comment

Originally posted by Tel911S View Post
                    Yes , that is usually the next joke they come up with after no car tax & put it on fuel instead .
                    But all of those stupid ideas keep coming up because some motorists only think whats best for themselves & have absolutely no clue about the whole thing .
                    I'm getting the impression that you have something to do with HGV's or the freight industry? Just remember before mass use of diesel lorries pretty much all freight went by rail - why is it such a bad thing to run 1 train of 1000 tonnes of freight between say, a port and a central distribution hub 300 miles away with HGV's used for local (50 -100 miles) final distribution than using 300 HGV's to do the whole job whilst taking up road space ?

This may sound like a broken record but since Dr Beechings help for the railways in the 50's road freight transport has spiralled out of control - its not its fault - they just filled the void. Pre then virtually every station had a goods siding used for local goods - coal, oil, perishables and normal stuff. It worked because there was little alternative.........we are getting to that point with road transport and I feel reversion to the 'old ways' is an option to be considered!

Comment

I'm getting the impression that you have something to do with HGV's or the freight industry? Just remember before mass use of diesel lorries pretty much all freight went by rail - why is it such a bad thing to run 1 train of 1000 tonnes of freight between say, a port and a central distribution hub 300 miles away with HGV's used for local (50 -100 miles) final distribution than using 300 HGV's to do the whole job whilst taking up road space ?

This may sound like a broken record but since Dr Beechings help for the railways in the 50's road freight transport has spiralled out of control - its not its fault - they just filled the void. Pre then virtually every station had a goods siding used for local goods - coal, oil, perishables and normal stuff. It worked because there was little alternative.........we are getting to that point with road transport and I feel reversion to the 'old ways' is an option to be considered!
                      I did work in a logistics based industry at one time .
                      So a few facts .
                      The railways handle about 2% to 3% of goods movements in this country .
                      If you turned all of the passengers off the railways & just carried goods , it could be increased to nearly 6% . Which might reduce the large long distance trucks by about 3% , but would mean more smaller trucks for local distribution , & goods would take several days to get anywhere instead of next day & cost a lot more .
                      Yes , railways were more efficient for mass loads from the coal mine to the power station [ if there are any left ] , but for nationwide distribution the idea of railways doing more than a tiny percentage of the work is just dreaming .

Comment

Your quite right reference not sitting in jams and we 'filtered' all the while (being careful not to knock anyones mirrors of with the panniers).
                        Have you driven/ridden througn the road works on the M1. The yellow average speed cameras read your rear plate
                        The permanent ones on the gantries also read your rear plate.

Now i like to 'get on' but i don't like points or handing over my hard earned!!
                        Please please please can I be in the 'Clique'

Comment

The rear facing average cameras are a bluff! Use of these type of cameras have only been licensed for forward facing operation - more safety nazi propaganda to control the masses. In fact I don't know anyone that has received any penalties via the average cameras so they may not actually work at all ! ! !

Comment

Did some checking & found my figures were bit out of date .
                            In the last few years the government has spent umpteen millions [ if not billions ], on improving the rail network , & at places like Felixstowe [ the biggest container port in the country ] has led to a huge increase in the number of containers going straight on the trains .
                            Now the latest Department for Transport figures show that 6% of freight goes by rail .

So a lot of your tax money is going to a good cause instead of wasting it by improving the roads ?????

Comment

It is harvest time !
                              sigpic

Comment

The rear facing average cameras are a bluff! Use of these type of cameras have only been licensed for forward facing operation - more safety nazi propaganda to control the masses. In fact I don't know anyone that has received any penalties via the average cameras so they may not actually work at all ! ! !
                                Chap on my site got nicked from the average cameras in the road works at Kettering
                                sigpic

Back with a MK1

Comment

Working...
                                X