what to do

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what to do

i have just had an mot done on our merc ml a couple of things needed doing so got them done ,the other thing was the belt was slipping so he changed that and the idler plus the adjuster ,anyway after that we still had a noise when pulling away ,the exhaust manifold gasket had blown , so got him to change it in the mean time he managed to snap three exhaust studs of ,hes put the gasket on and it seems to be holding . you cant get in to drill them out and options are to take the head of and get them machined out , whos to blame me or him for snapping them of what to do

Remove the manifold, hold a nut over the broken stud then using a stick welder weld in the centre the stud to the centre of the nut, then wind it out ive done this a lot never fails.

And you can do this even if no stud sticking out from head, doesn't work so well using mig.

As for the studs breaking, I'm sure he didn't do it intentionally, shit happens, hope you get them out ok.

Comment

thanks for the advise wayne i have done that at work many times , dont want to do the work myself every time i touch the ml it costs me more money so maybe looking for someone to take it on , dont really want to go down the head of route if it can be avoided

Comment

anyone on here near me up for the repair

Comment

Originally posted by rs new boy View Post
          mr custom ?

Comment

Originally posted by rs new boy View Post

Originally posted by vinny View Post

mr custom ?
            If you can get the manifold to me I have access to welders and oxy/acet

Also I know where I can get them spark eroded if needed - not cheap but cheaper than a new manifold
            cheeRS

DAVE

Comment

Originally posted by RS2000CUSTOM View Post
              If you can get the manifold to me I have access to welders and oxy/acet

Also I know where I can get them spark eroded if needed - not cheap but cheaper than a new manifold
              It ain't the manifold that's broken - its the studs in the head!

Long story short - whoever does it, if you ain't got direct access to the broken studs, its either engine out or head off time! Do it once, do it right

Comment

Dave it's the manifold to head bolts one at the back and two near the front it's sounding like it's starting to blow now

Comment

just brought a second hand manifold which i will get skimmed flat and all the bits to attempt the job going to have a quick look at the weekend and see how much space i have

Comment

Working...
                  X