Powder Coating

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Powder Coating

I was just wondering what you (UK) lads expect to spend on powder coating, i.e. how much would you think is reasonable for a crossmember or axle casing etc? Any feedback is much appreciated, cheers.

I wouldn't do it !. Mine was originally powder coated and it started to split, water got in and made it worse. You can't touch it up like you can paint, if you try, the paint melts the edges and makes it worse.

I have done all my black bits with Rust Buster Epoxy Primer which doesn't need a top coat and has a satin finish. If you want gloss, you can top coat with something like Simoniz Tough Black.

Comment

I had my cross member powder coated twice. First time was about 10 years ago. I had all the problems mentioned above - cracked and flaked off, and water got inside.

I took the cross member off during a mini restoration in 2016 and took it to Maldon Shotblasting & Powder Coating (ctc-powder-coating.co.uk/). They explained to me that all the trouble I had first time round was due to poor metal prep. I had no come-back with the original company as the first restoration took so long and the work was well out of warranty. Maldon shot blasting charged me £50 to blast it and powder coat in gloss black. This time round its tough as nails (as it should be). You can hit it with a hammer and it wont chip the paint. Its had the usual trolly jack abuse and there's no scratches.

Comment

Yes, that's what I would expect. If prepped properly, powder coating should be at least as tough, probably more so. I do take Tony's point about damage to the powder coating though, if the finish gets damaged then you can't really touch it up. I will give Maldon Shotblasting & Powder Coating a look though to see if it's worth a go . Cheers

Comment

What I just paid £350 to have the below done...

Axle casing
          Leaf springs x 2
          Rear suspension hangers x 2
          Bump stops x 2
          Leaf shackles x 2
          Back plates x 2
          Drums x 2
          Tramp bars x 2
          Rocker cover
          Crossmember
          Anti roll bar
          Anti roller bar U brackets x 2
          Anti roll bar body brackets
          All nose cone fixing brackets
          Rs2000 headlight backplates and fixing rings
          Steering rack brackets x 2
          Steering arms x 2
          Bilstein front suspension casings x 2
          Front springs x 2
          Front suspension cups x 2
          Servo tower
          Engine mount cups x 2

All shot blasted and powder coated satin black other than the front suspension legs

Comment

Working...
          X