TAX exempt query

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TAX exempt query

I have read all the info about people getting their 40 year old cars tax exempt. Looking for some accurate advice to try and streamline some of the DVLA nonsense that will come my way.
    My RS is a UK 1977 however was exported until 1985 so although it’s on an S plate and the log book says 77 it also says registration date 1985. It’s been a rally car since the 70’s and I have history since day 1. I have owned 7 odd years and have regency MOT’d after a long rebuild but when going to tax they want to charge.
    What form do I fill in and what’s the best way to tackle getting free tax? Leave it SORN and begin the process or pay the tax and begin? I don’t need it on the road being winter and all that but would love to get the tax issue sorted.

Any advise would be great. 👍.

I think you are buggered with the conflicting dates! How can it say two dates anyway - surely date of first registration is date of first registration? The DVLA only think in black or white so without outstanding amounts of history and evidence to prove them wrong - you won't change their way of thinking!

Comment

Thanks for the reply and much what I was thinking.
      So to be clear my log book lists under the vehicle details date of first registration as November 1985 however on the front section saying special notes it says declared manufactured 1977.
      Chassis number etc etc all tie in with the 77, history does but I could do without the DVLA messing it up so might not bother trying being a rally car.

Comment

Is not the tax status deemed on date of manufacture and not date of registration ? Correct me if I am wrong ..
        sigpic

Back with a MK1

Comment

Originally posted by alancdavis View Post
          Is not the tax status deemed on date of manufacture and not date of registration ? Correct me if I am wrong ..

Yes you are correct, it is the date of manufacture not the registration date.
          Jim

sigpic

Comment

Cheers Lads, yeah it should be absolutely on the manufacture date. Was just asking for some advice as having read the various bits on here any advise would be welcome. If I do the brave thing and send them my log book I’d need as much background evidence as possible, what do they generally ask for? The marking of the strut tops etc is a tall order on a rally car.
            I’ve moved three times since owning the car and sent the book off each time and not had a problem keeping it SORN.
            Cheers.

Comment

A little update.
              After ten mins on hold to the DVLA they said just take the logbook to a local post office that does tax, show them it with the MOT and Insurance and get them to select historic vehicle when taxing. I did just that as my main concern was sending the book away, so with the help from three staff it worked my car is showing taxed and I never had to pay. They wrote historic vehicle on the log book and sent away with no other changes so hopefully that comes back ok.

So I’d definitely recommend going that route if anyone has any doubts like it did and doesn’t want to risk having to go the generic route.

Not too bad a topic for the first chat on here in a long time!!

Comment

I was told the same thing, but when I went to the post office they said they couldn't do it, so I ended up going via post to DVLA again. Six months and one lost V5 later (which I had to pay for, even though I had proof of delivery that they received it!), it finally got sorted.

Comment

Strange isn't it - did mine during lockdown 1 by going to the local post office (that does tax) as directed by the Gov.uk website and they processed and sent off with no fuss whatsoever. Wasn't optimistic on timeframe due to the pandemic, but pretty much got the log book back in the 4 odd weeks that they suggested. You do wonder why it's so inconsistent !!

Trev.

Comment

Every time I have to deal with the dvla it's a nightmare.
                    Latest fiasco in a long line, sorned my car ages ago, spat a ref number at me and luckily I wrote it down, now all I get is letters threatening to fine me if I don't - - - wait for it --------------------------- yes you've guessed it, sorn my car, you couldn't make it up.

Comment

I had no problem with my car, took V5 to local post office that road tax cars, they inspected the MoT and insurance docs, they sent the V5 with "Historic Vehicle" written on it in their DVLA post bag, and it came back from DVLA four weeks later with a refund for unused road tax!

A word of advice, photo copy your V5, and any documents you send to DVLA, as suggested by PO counter staff!

Comment

Working...
                      X