RS2000 Mk2 Freshen up.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RS2000 Mk2 Freshen up.

I already posted in the noobies section, but I'll post in here for the rest of the job: It needs inner wing repairs, but I want to do it properly, hence the delay in me getting round to starting it (8 years of DIY and kids has taken my time too ). As it's been stood the brakes have seized and the exhaust has holed ( I plan a new stainless steel one for it). I'll do the local repairs to the paintwork (surface rust to rear arches, flaking paint under the back bumper and any caused by the welding repairs).

It should then stand another buff up using my trusty 'proffesional' buffer/polisher (best thing I bought, saves hours of hand cutting/polishing ). Hopefully once it's back on the road, I'll continue with a sort of rolling restoration and improve the engine bay and underneath, probably search for a good local sprayer to do a full respray in 2 pack eventually. I'd love to spray it myself, but cellulose is so expensive these days and I doubt it is anymore durable than I remember from over 10 years ago. I've done about 20 cars (part and full resprays) but I might just have to satisfy myself with the prep and the final polish, leaving a pro to do the bit in between.

Not sure which photos I've uploaded so I'll just do a couple now and add more once I've taken some fresh ones.
    Attached Files

looks a good project

keep the pics rolling in

Comment

Good luck with it.... More pics as and when

My cars in the VbGarage

Comment

Thanks guys, still suffering with cracked ribs since last weekend's fall (putting up my toolboard) so I'm reduced to web browsing duties, hence adding the pictures today. Hoping to be well enough next weekend to remove the old chest freezer that's getting in my way, then I can start in earnest. I'm guessing the nose cones screws are going to take some undoing after 30 years. I figure I'll have to take the doors off to drill the wing's spot welds out too, just thought of that one....I hate taking doors off (at least I have some NOS door pins to put back in afterwards).

You wouldn't believe the number of parts and tools I've rediscovered clearing out the garage to start this job. I even found a stick of lead and the flux that I bought to do some lead loading once; it worked pretty well (I lead loaded a badge recess on a Cavalier bonnet to 'convert' into the later type on a write off I rebuilt a few years ago). It withstood the bonnet being slammed (usually in anger after I'd found some other expensive part I needed to fix it ), so I figure it was a job well done. I don't think there is anywhere on the RS that will warrant lead loading though. I found my door pin removal tool too, so that will come in handy. Trouble is I'll need a second garage to put all of the parts in while I'm working.

Comment

looks a great project m8 . mk2 doors are bolt on so that will save u a bit of aggro ! & the wing is held to the a pst with three 10mm bolt headed self tappers too hope this helps.

Comment

good luck, keep the pics coming

cheeRS
            sigpic

Comment

Underseal, smoothrite or stone chip?

Blimey, a year on and I've still not really done anything more. I made a start taking off the nose cone, but snapped most of the bolt heads despite weeks of spraying with plus gas/WD40/whatever. Hoping to get back on with it again soon (another bout of DIY got in the way since my last post ).

Just thinking that while I've got the outer wings off to do the inner wing repars, I'll have good access to the underarch area. I'm torn between scrapping off the old underseal and painting with smoothrite or similar/stonechip oversprayed with black gloss (the car is black)/reunderseal with modern equivalent. The underneath is in pretty much rust free condition due to being dry use only since 1985 or so (all the more annoying that I've got two 3" holes in the inner wings more due to condensation I think). I'd still use a wire brush on my angle grinder to clean up the odd bit of surface rust, then treat with bondaprimer or similar before top coating.

Just looking for opinions for longer term how it would put people off or not depending on the choice of finish? Stone chip oversprayed gloss black wouldn't look a lot different to fresh underseal, but I figure the later would be more durable if a future owner didn't want to worry about using it in wet weather. Also as I'll be doing it in stages, blending on corners/edges might be difficult compared to underseal.

Comment

Nice project mate
                sigpic

Comment

hi Kelvin ,nice resto see now you ll have to get the finger out

Comment

Best of luck with your resto Kelvin, looks very similar to mine which should be starting about the same time. I shall be keeping an eye on this one as we seem to have the same car in pretty much the same condition.

Comment

Oh dear, still haven't done anything on this. At least the DIY in the house is now all done, so the OH hasn't got any excuses to stop me getting on with this. However, I need to dig the car out of the garage as it's full of boxes and other rubbish. Then a bit of tidying up to clear some space. At least it's getting warmer as I'm well past the times of laying on a cold concrete floor in the middle of winter.

Just trying to find out about the correct fuel pipe as mine leaks where it joins to the carb. I've replaced it once and it still leaks, so wonder if I bought the wrong size.

I mostly got the nose cone off last time but snapped nearly all of the lower bolt heads despite soaking with plus gas, etc. I hope I'll be able to repair/replace them once it's off the car.

Going to need the following:

Repairs to both inner wings next to strut plate.
                      Brakes (had new master cylinder last time it was on the road, but the front calipers have seized. Probably will replace all the flexies, rear cylinders, plus exchanged calipers.
                      Exhaust has blown near the back, but I think I'll replace the whole lot with a stainless one. Not sure if Janspeed ones are decent (don't want to be deafened, so if there's an alternative, someone please let me know).
                      Radiator and probably all the hoses.
                      I have a new steering rack in the boot, so may as well fit this, plus some bushes I bought for the rear suspension.
                      A good wash and clean.
                      See what the MOT man says after I've done the above.

Comment

Good to see you back Kelvin. Best of luck with your progress.

Comment

Looks good

“The great thing about the sierra is, it has all the mechanical simplicity of a knife and fork” Quentin Willson

Comment

nice one keep up the good work m8...
                            dav

Comment

Cleared the garage out today and put an old kitchen wall unit on the wall to keep some bits in out of the way. I charged up the battery, but it didn't want to start despite fuel and sparks. I wonder if the petrol is stale (had this once with a friend's Lotus). I'll get a can of fresh unleaded tomorrow and see if that helps. Need to finish getting the nose cone off so I can take the wings off to start cutting out the rot and letting in fresh metal...I'll add photos once I get to this point.

Comment

Working...
                              X