Silver on Black number plates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TugsW View Post
    Did you change the Dolly's head gasket as well Paul, before it went home or did the owner feel lucky and take a chance......? My mate had one back in the early 90's as his dad had a Triumph dealer in Enfield in the 70's and it blew up and he sold it, then re-lived his youth a few years ago and got another one and it did the same He sold that too and as never said they were better than a RS ever again !!!

Back on topic, regardless of the legatees of black/white plates on anything other than a car that would have had them from new on a model run they look a bit 'scene' like pressed German font on VW's and Japanese script on JDM cars.

My 'pet' Bedford TK horsebox has black/white plates that I fitted replacing more modern ones, but it was built in '67 and looks much better with them and completes the look. Only thing is I have to wash the horse **** off of them incase they rot
    I used to sell new Dolomites during the 70's and quite honestly we had very little problems with them, certainly no engine failures. The Stag was a different story though and later on had cooling issues which caused problems with the heads! I believe the problem does not exist these days due to good basic servicing! Although I believe there is no excuse for abusing an engine, some engines stand up to it better than others!

As regards to the black and silver plates, I don't know exactly what is available these days but in my opinion the ones I have seen do not look as good as the original ones I used to fit years ago! In fact all those years ago pressed plates were the cheaper option, as the raised digit type plate cost more but looked better quality and did not corrode like the others!

Comment

The dollop of $hite !!! Oops I meant Dolomite Sprint that I tested was a breath of fresh air
      Not a minter on top but 100% mechanically and not a polished turd ,
      It did have a old Halda screwed to the dash which he didn't even know what it was I offered to buy it but he said it was fitted from new so declined I didn't argue or comment as he was a grand bloke and welcome back next year
      Cheers paul
      sigpic

Comment

Working...
      X