tax exemption

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tax exemption

can anyone tell me how this functions? my car is 40 years old midway through this year. do i tax it as normal and get a refund when it turns 40, or does it only become free the following year?

The following year.

Comment

If it is a 79 car like mine then apply April 2020
      sigpic

Comment

That's correct, my 1978 RS Mexico missed out last year! I've attached the email reply sent to me from DVLA earlier this year:

"Thank you for your enquiry received on 16/1/2019.
        Your case reference number is 0118xxx.

We appreciate that you have taken the time to contact us in relation to this matter. It may help if I explain that this vehicle can be registered as a historic vehicle from 01/04/2019.

When you are ready to do so, you can apply in person at a Post Office® that deals with vehicle tax.

The following documentation will need to be submitted:

V5C Registration Certificate

V62 Application for a registration certificate if you are not in possession of the V5C*

valid MOT Certificate (if applicable) or V112 ‘Exemption from MOT testing’ form

valid insurance certificate or cover note for vehicles registered with a Northern Ireland address (downloaded or faxed copies are acceptable, however photocopies are not)

*Please note that there is a £25 charge if a V62 is completed.

You should write ‘Historic’ in the change to taxation class field in section 7 of the V5C and sign section 8.

DVLA will automatically issue a refund for any complete remaining months of your vehicle tax by post within 6 weeks (if applicable).

If you pay your tax via Direct Debit, it will be cancelled automatically and future payments will be stopped when we receive notification that you have changed your vehicle tax class.

Please also note that there is a 10% surcharge on 6 monthly vehicle tax renewals (5% for 6 monthly Direct Debit) that is not refundable.

More information on the Historic vehicle tax class can be found on information leaflet INF34 Taxing Historic Vehicles.

Form V62 can be downloaded from https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-registrat...e-v5c-log-book or obtained from a Post Office® that deals with vehicle tax.

Form V112 can be downloaded from https://www.gov.uk/getting-an-mot/ve...xempt-from-mot or obtained from a Post Office® that deals with vehicle tax.

I trust this is of assistance to you.

Best Regards
        C Beynon"

So, from 1st April 2019 I should be able to register my car as a Historic Vehicle! Hope the above helps.

Comment

Had to smile at those instructions...... re : Insurance Cert.
          Downloaded and printed is fine.
          Downloaded, printed and then photocopied is not,
          Original, scanned and then printed, is ok
          But Original, photocopied isn't !

The 21st century really hasn't arrived with DVLA yet has it!

Comment

Its a while since I did mine but it used to go off the build date of the car rather than the registration date. In my case the car was built in Sept 73 but not registered until early Jan 74. I did have to get a dating letter from the AVO club as proof. So if it was built before Jan 1979 it should be OK.

Comment

A letter from the relevant owners club proving the build date is acceptable.
              I’ll be in same boat next year my Rs2000 is a 79 build but regd in early jan 80.
              I’ll ask the registrar to supply me with a letter
              Ex-Chairman of 'The Clique'

Comment

Originally posted by Chesney View Post
                I’ll ask the registrar to supply me with a letter
                But he's dense son

I have to wait till 2024
                Autumn Has Arrived by Kevin Frost, on Flickr

CHES'S UNDERSTUDY...........

Comment

Originally posted by Frosticles View Post
                  But he's dense son

I have to wait till 2024
                  I’ve heard he’s a really nice, helpful bloke.

Comment

thanks for the info lads, you`ve all been helpful blokes! much appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by katana View Post
                      Had to smile at those instructions...... re : Insurance Cert.
                      Downloaded and printed is fine.
                      Downloaded, printed and then photocopied is not,
                      Original, scanned and then printed, is ok
                      But Original, photocopied isn't !

The 21st century really hasn't arrived with DVLA yet has it!
                      Yes, it amused me too!

Comment

Originally posted by Chesney View Post
                        I’ve heard he’s a really nice, helpful bloke.
                        You must be on about Ruddy son.
                        Autumn Has Arrived by Kevin Frost, on Flickr

CHES'S UNDERSTUDY...........

Comment

My car was built Jan 79 and reg Feb 79 ,,,,,,DVLA tells me I can apply in April 2020,,, does that not make it 41 years old
                          sigpic

Back with a MK1

Comment

Originally posted by alancdavis View Post
                            My car was built Jan 79 and reg Feb 79 ,,,,,,DVLA tells me I can apply in April 2020,,, does that not make it 41 years old
                            good point alan. i assume that the significance of april is the start of the tax year?

Comment

It seems to be the April of the following year that you go from.

Comment

Working...
                              X