MK II buying guide req'd

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MK II buying guide req'd

Can some on put up some sort of buying guide for the MKII RS2000 for me as i will hopefully be starting to look at a few now the cossie is sold

what i would like to know

where are the problem areas ...rust ,rot , weak etc etc

interior for a custom and non custom ...what should it have /shouldnt have

engine bay , what to look for

chassis numbers what numbers / letters are only on the rs2000's

dave custom very kindly gave up his spare time a few weeks ago to show me on his mint shell ,but i would like it in writing too

cheers
    sigpic

Re: MK II buying guide req'd

Originally posted by GAZ W
    dave custom very kindly gave up his spare time a few weeks ago to show me on his mint shell ,but i would like it in writing too
    cheers
    I have a mint shell - There you go Gaz it is in writing for you !! - lol lol lol
    cheeRS

DAVE

Comment

:lol: :lol: :lol:

you know what i meant
      sigpic

Comment

I've only got a few minutes before I go off to look at a fully documented, 1 owner MKII RS2000 so here are a few starters :

Bodyshell :

Good look underneath, they are no more or less prone to rusty undersides than any other car, check jacking points along sills as these may be abused. Pay special attention to spare wheel well and under the fuel tank. Check rear arches from under the car and also inside the boot where the outer wing joins the inner. Check the seam in the boot slam area where the back panel meets the inner slam of the boot surround, check bottoms of doors and sills for signs of dodgy filling, then, if you can, jack the car up under the X-member with a good trolley jack, pop some axel stands under for safety and examine the area around the front wheels under the wing. They tend to go here on the kick panel which is just behind where the inner wing meets the main body (if you see a wet carpet and the screen rubbers look OK, this is the first thing to check). Look under the area where the strut mounts onto the inner wing (A good torch is useful) anc check the area directlt behind the headlights. On top, check the bottoms of the rear pillar (around the back of the rear window and side passenger windows, check under all the rubber glass seals for signs of re-painting over rust. The fronts of the wings on the top where it meets the nosecone are prone to rust as is the area below the windscreen where the wipers are mounted. In the engine bay have a good feel under the gutters at the edge of the front wings and check to see if strut top plates have either been replaced or will need replacing. You will see a chassis number on the o/s strut top plate, if it is not there then plate has been replaced. You should have a VIN plate on the front slam panel and another body coloured i/d plate next to it.

Make sure it is an RS2000 shell, it should have the top plates, the bracing on the inner wing next to the road wheel should be extended and there must be a trailing arm on either side connecting the differential casing to the bodyshell. If you have access to one, the Haynes manual shows all these bits.

Engines:

Basic mechanics which I'm sure you already know. Check for blue smoke when changing gear as this indicates ring wear. Also, if the crankcase vent has been unplugged from the inlet manifold and pointed groundwards then it is likely that the car has worn rings as this will have been done to prevent plug 2 getting sprayed with oil vapours as crankcase pressure builds up. Rest is fairly basic.

Custom/Non-Custom:

I'm a bit rusty on this so anyone please correct me if I'm wrong :

1976-78 One model only available, no custom badge above the heater controls, roll top black recaro seats, full height door trims, centre console, glove box, clock & pod, alloy wheels.

1978-80 Custom/Non Custom introduced. Custom as above but now with fishnet recaro seats, 'Custom' badge above heater controls. Non Custom had basic Scheel (as in Ghia) seats, steel wheels, I think no centre console and clock/pod and only 'half' height door trims

I'm not sure about carpet types/colours and headlining colours but I've a feeling these were changeable as well.

Hope this helps, if you want anything specific answering, drop me a line.

Arron.

RSOC Member - 6960

Comment

Cheers matey

That will come in very handy in the future :grin:
          sigpic

Comment

Working...
          X