Chrome it or paint it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chrome it or paint it?

I've not been posting pics on here of my resto as it's, quite frankly, a bit embarassing that it's now up to its 13th year! Anyway, what do you think? Should I paint it or put on clear varnish? LOL!

As it was intended to be a bit-by-bit resto with the car being used inbetween as a daily runner, I missed the opportunity in 1992 of stripping everything out and doing the proper sand-blasting jobbie. I thought I would tackle it with "hand tools" which has now cost me about £786,73 in wire brushes etc.! Oh well, next time!

Today I'm so chuffed that I have, at long last, finished the last bit of sh1te work on the car which was the underbody. In fact, I'm so chuffed, I thought I'd post some pics! With all of the hand sanding I've got no opposable thumbs anymore but enough fingers left to hold a glass of wine which is exactly what is going to happen next.

Anyone else out there who suffers in this stupid fashion by wanting to do everything himself in his own cramped little garage?

That looks well nice and clean Dasa!
    I also feel the need to everything!! well almost!
    13 years... hmmmm... will it be ready in 2018?
    Should be worth a mint by then!

Comment

thats a hell of a job Andrew, how long has it been sat unpainted ? and not gone surface rusty ?

Comment

Surface rust not too much of a problem in South of France

It took me about 6 weeks on and off to get down to bare metal. Before spraying the primer (just now), I went over with wire brush, emery sponge, acetone, and silicone remover.

The build up will now be:

1K etch primer
        2K filler primer
        2K car colour
        Underbody sealer with car colour mixed in
        2K car colour for the top shine.

Comment

looking good there m8.....
          sigpiccheeRS paul

Comment

sigpic

Too old of a to be F**ked by kittens

RS MK2 CLUB NO/10

RSOC NO/22171

Comment

Smart!
              CheeRS Paul
              sigpic

Comment

that looks like it was painfull. Are you insane by any chance? Even I didn't go that far with mine.
                Autumn Has Arrived by Kevin Frost, on Flickr

CHES'S UNDERSTUDY...........

Comment

bling bling, looks very solid das

Comment

are you a bit................. :shaking2: ....................mental??????

Comment

its a shame the whole shell couldn,t be stripped back and lacquered, that would look really neat, a first, back to the real world. lol

Comment

Originally posted by ian parker
                        its a shame the whole shell couldn,t be stripped back and lacquered, that would look really neat, a first, back to the real world. lol
                        Probably worth more than a DeLorean as well!

Comment

Just don,t get up to 70 mph !!!!!!!!!!! lol. Was it 70 ? something like that,

Comment

Yeah, having lived in Germany most of my life it's really amusing watching those American films which show a glimpse of the speedo during car chases to underline the extreme speed and usually they reveal that the car is approaching 75 m.p.h!

On the Autobahn doing 200 km/h you've usually got an Opel Astra on your tail flashing you to move over!

Comment

that looks very nice das ...give yourself a well earned pat on the back
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X