pinto build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pinto build

just started project pinto, started stripin my 2 ltr lump 2day, got the cam cover off 2 find that the head bolts are the splin bolts and havnt got the right size at home but am hopful borrowing 1 tomorrow off a mate, so should have the head off tomorrow. removed dissy and binned it cus its a vacum 1. i turned the engine over by hand and it had compressions so the insides should b good. Also striped a second head i got so got a few spares already, got 2 capri cast exhaust mainfold if any 1 wants em.

put a RL32 cam in it plenty of revs
    cheeRS ROB
    MK11 MEMBER 252

Comment

got the head off today and the bores are mintie, so excuss for a 2.1 rebore lol, got the sump off and it looks all good down there aswell, soon as the cranks out am goin 2 wash the block off as there a layer of oil n crap on it but all looks good. Few questions now how do u get the pulleys of the cam, oil pump and crank.

Comment

The sprokets on the cam and crank are on woodruf keys and just pull off...
        Might be a little stiff and you may need a pulley puller.
        Oil pump can`t think...

Comment

Oil pump simply bolts to block (no gasket)
          cheeRS

DAVE

Comment

i know they pull of but i cant undo the bolt holdin them on, how 2 do stop the cam/pump/crank turnin

Comment

To stop the crank - Get some one to sit in the car, with it in gear(5th)with
              their foot on the brake while you loosen.
              To stop the cam - remove the rocker cover and hold the cam with a
              spanner, or if no place for the spanner get some stilsons on the job.

:

Comment

On my first engine the crank sprocket was a bar-steward to get off, as you can't get a puller onto it. I chiselled around a bit until I'd put a gouge into the crank nose where the oil seal seals! After having destroyed the front cover (the alloy plate) I found out that a new front cover with oil seal fitted only cost about £5 more than the oil seal itself.

If the sprocket won't budge, find out the price and availablity of the front cover from ford etc. and consider completely sacrificing it to get a puller onto the sprocket properly. You're gonna have to be taking the front cover off anyway and you'll be fitting a new oil seal too.

Comment

thanks for the tips guys but 1 problem wit the crank 1 is that the engine is sat in shed in bits, am sure ill get the ****er off some how think a c spanner should do the job

Comment

Screwdriver levered against block with blade in one of the starter ring gear teeth. The sprocket bolts aren't in too tight and that ring gear has a pretty big diameter which gives a lot of counter torque when holding everything in place!

Comment

put a socket over bolt give it few bangs with a bloody big hammer
                      ROB
                      cheeRS ROB
                      MK11 MEMBER 252

Comment

Take it down to your local garage and ask one of the mechanics nicely to remove the bolts with his Air Impact Wrench. I'd help you out but I think the distance might make it an unviable option.

Chris.

More of Banishit's Handywork!!!

Comment

the block is now totally striped, pistons and crank came off no prop every thnig seems good, might strip 1 of my heads today aswell but cant stand the sound of the ****in rain.

Comment

Originally posted by rallyslag
                            the block is now totally striped
                            ... prefer the spotted ones myself! LOL!

Weather has just stopped play here as well - it's too hot in the direct sun!

Comment

good fun STRIPE your engine innit, BTW its been glorious sunshine here all day

pic to prove
                              wife and kids on crawfordsbrun sand taken at 4pm

Comment

Working...
                              X