pockets's mk1 resto

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pockets's mk1 resto

heres some pics of what im up to with the mk1 which i started on thursday 13/12/2007.
    thanks to a very nice boss im allowed to keep it at my work and work on it after 5:00 so i can get the welding done as long as i keep it mobile!
    its going to be an all year round runner for me and fiona and maybe a track car so i want it to be strong and well rust proofed.
    its never going to be a show car so theres no point in hiding repairs and im not doing a total strip down etc.
    the cars had some pritty shady repairs along its way ie fibre glass found where metal should be, floor pans not welded in properly and wires just twisted together and taped etc :roll: so these are all going to be sorted.

first job...remove seats and carpet and patch drivers floor so i didnt fall through.....NOTE home made 3mm thick box section chassis leg! ( wasnt me! )but its bloody solid!

this is where i found a huge patch of fibre glass/silicone sealer mix so cut it all out and fixed that

n/s floor and inner wing got a going over with a wire wheel on the end of the grinder to remove loads of shite and rust, then covered in cure rust.
    the whole floor/chassis will get this treatment as well as a marine type galvanising paint at £24 per 1/2 litre! :shock: comes up really well though.

drivers front inner wing bumper mount repair

after

chassis leg repairs

i was told i had things to do at home today so no more till next week.
    Last edited by pockets; 16-12-2007, 18:08.
    cheeRS

Youve been a busy boy dave, no wonder Miss Fi felt guilty & let u have the car lol lol

Cant wait to see the finished product! Was showing paul the pics i had on my phone 2day as he hadnt seen it & had popped in 4a cuppa!
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Fi Fi Fiesta View Post
      Youve been a busy boy dave, no wonder Miss Fi felt guilty & let u have the car lol lol

Cant wait to see the finished product! Was showing paul the pics i had on my phone 2day as he hadnt seen it & had popped in 4a cuppa!
      fiona gave in too easy!! i say its our car!
      ive been working on it after work. ive only done a thursday and friday night and saturday afternoon on it soo far, ive got loads to do yet.

what exactly did you show paul pics of that he'd not seen before??? sounds dirty!
      cheeRS

Comment

looking good , keep up the good work.......

Comment

coming toghter nicely, keep going
          sigpic

Comment

thanks guys.

the problem is that the cars at my work which is 15 miles away from home and me and the girfriend travel to work together so she has to get a lift home if i stay to work on the car.

time flys in the garage does anyone else find that??? i was in there till 11:30 on friday night with out any dinner
            cheeRS

Comment

Originally posted by pockets View Post
              thanks guys.

time flys in the garage does anyone else find that??? i was in there till 11:30 on friday night with out any dinner

know what ya mean , head down arse up , fcuk me is that the time

Comment

nice one, keep up the good work

Comment

Originally posted by pockets View Post
                  the problem is that the car is at my work which is 15 miles away from home and me and the girlfriend travel to work together so she has to get a lift home if i stay to work on the car.

I don't see that being a problem with the amount of vehicles that the two of you have

Looking good by the way David

Comment

cheeRS craig!
                    its not the amount of cars we have its just the cost of the fuel!! it all adds up especially with the focus, we can only get fuel in one garage round here for it! lol

at least the mk1's tax free, get that up ye mr government!

cheeRS

Comment

ive not been doing much to the mk1 lately apart from adding anti freeze as it had none ( its been a bit cold up here see pics ) and getting it running again due to annoying electric fuel pump problems.
                      the pump got removed and thrown across the garage and i replaced it with an original mechanical one on the engine.

im working a couple of days next week so i'll probably get more done then.

cheeRS

Comment

i did a bit more to the mk1 today once id dragged myself out the house.

on friday night it wouldnt start so today i checked and cleaned the plugs and points which worked, it now runs.

its got a coolant leak from the hose off the water pump so it was a good excuse to remove the radiator and hoses as the front x member had a crack which needed welded anyway.
                        as soon as that came out i found more to do as previous weld repairs to the x member arnt fully welded and when some one fitted another front panel they didnt paint/rust proof the back of it so after i finished the welding it got the surface rust sanded off and i painted it with a rust proof marine paint i have ( it wont rust again! ) at that point i got ****ed off with fixing other peoples bad repairs and went home

fixing some one elses bodged repares seems to be the story for this car, cant wait to get to the wiring!

i wasnt planning on painting the car at all but fiona got me thinking and i might paint it a nice bright colour like vista orange, maze yellow, signal green or white to match the mk2.
                        im also thinking of modena green hmmmm

sorry i didnt take pics, i forgot!
                        cheeRS

Comment

looks nice keep it up
                          sigpic

Comment

finally done a bit more to the mk1.
                            i found a wee crack in the floor just behind the seat box on the drivers side floor/inner sill area so i had a poke about and spent friday night after work cutting away bad previous repairs trying to get good metal to weld to.
                            i found 3 layers of floor skins with a few mm of wet rusty dust in between each one and some one fitted a full inner sill repair panel when they didnt need to so most of that got cut out so i can replace the floor properly.
                            this is how a 3 inch crack ended up like.

this is how it finished today, took ages to get the panel to fit neatly, involving some big hammers!!

also found one of brians 8 inch wide weller wheels fitted with a 215 50 13 tyre so i fitted it to see what it would be like :lol:

looks quite god with black wheels........hmmmm
                            cheeRS

Comment

Looking good mate, keep the pics coming
                              Roll on the Tour 2011

Comment

Working...
                              X