My turn to make a start..........

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My turn to make a start..........

Well, at long last I've got the enthusiasm to start stripping the Mex ready for the re-spray that should start on Saturday If I can find a car to tow it with!!!!! Done most of the hard work and have been very pleasantly suprised to find no rust or rot at all which is VERY rare in a 26 year old Ford!! These are some of the pics of my hard work.

The strip begins........

getting scary now...........

Never have I seen a rust free shell before. The happiest man alive.
    Autumn Has Arrived by Kevin Frost, on Flickr

CHES'S UNDERSTUDY...........

It doesn`t look in that bad a condition mate.

What you painting it for?

Shell looks a bit better than mine... lol

Comment

yeh Kev what you painting ?

Comment

The shell has been "Tidied" up over the years with various panels being sprayed. There's still a lot of original paint still on the car along with the decals but the colour match isn't perfect and the decals are getting ragged round the edges!!! I just want a complete re-spray inside/out and re-decalling so it looks how it should. Not going overboard with it though as I'm leaving the underside as it is. (covered in Waxoyl/Underseal) Not into the "Buffty" scene ya see. Just want to enjoy the car for what it was intended for................. (Might upset a few with these remarks I think!) he he.

Comment

The strip continues............. Finally got her ready for the trip to the sprayshop tomorrow.

Why can't I have a tidy garage?

Might decide to keep these wheels on instead of the Minilites?????

Engine completely out and it's filthy!

Found a little rust here on the drivers side inner sill. Going to cut it out and let a small plate in so it looks invisible.

Rear end's sound

The Fat Arse!!!!!!!

Comment

well you didn't mess around there then

lots of work done are you going total Bare shell ?

Comment

Nope, Going to keep all the suspension on as everything's fine there. Just going to have the body/engine bay/boot bay sprayed. Did want to have it finished for Cumbria but I think that's wishfull thinking somehow so I'm going to GTI International with work instead for a burn down the strip in my Golf :cherry:

Comment

Could I ask a question, while you have the rear spoiler off could you please measure the holes for me i.e. how far from the bottom edge and how far in from the sides of the boot lid. I have fitted a replacement boot lid to mine and forgot to measure the holes off the old one.

Thanks Chris

Comment

No probs, Will take some measurements later ok.

Comment

top work! sure it will look stunning when complete.

i want one of those steering wheels!! anyone got one for sale?

Comment

So you`ve been living on McDonalds fries while you`ve been stripping the car eh?

LOL

Comment

He he, Nicely spotted. Have loads of those boxes..... We get them from work as our main supplier boxes everything up in them.
                        Different note now, Had a nightmarish day yesterday taking the car to the spray shop. Firstly had to travel across Nottingham to collect a car for towing.................A 1.6 Jetta!!!!!!! Secondly had to drive to Smart VW's in Newark to pick up the trailer. It was HUGE!!! Used for trailoring T4's and LT's. Poor old Jetta struggled to get the thing out of the drive. Drove back to Nottingham to pick the car up but couldn't get up my 45 degree hill as the Jetta couldn't drag the bahemoth up it. Had to leave the car and trailer at the bottom, roll the Mex out of the garage and gently roll it down the hill with no brakes...........SCARY! Secured it to the trailer and off I went. 2 mins down the road there was an almighty grinding noise. Stopped to find the Jockey wheel mangled underneath the trailer...Not happy! Finally dropped the car off then headed back to Newark. Got as far as the centre of Nottingham to hear loads of screaching going on????? someone in a Merc said that I only had 3 wheels out of 4 turning. Stopped to investigate.......Siezed solid. The lad who I borrowed the Jetta from had a hammer hidden away under the drivers seat for "Emergencies" hmmmmmmmm. Used this to bash the living daylights out of the siezed wheel to no effect. Had no alternative than to let the offending tyre down and to risk driving the 20 miles with it as such. Needless to say it didn't help at all.....The noise from the tyre was deafening. All I could see out of the rear mirror was clouds of smoke an a thick black line of rubber as I drove. Finally got back to Newark to find the whole wheel shredded and a small fire developing in the drum brake. (Lucky I needed a wee else the whole trailer would have gone up)!!!! Told Smartie that I have a set of wheels that he can have to replace the ones I knackered so everything's now ok. NEVER AGAIN.

P.S. Anyone have a trailer I can borrow in the next week or 2 to bring her home???? Ta, Kev.

Comment

You being serious?

You think someone is going to borrow you a trailer after reading that little escapade.... LOL

I like the hammer under the seat for "emergencies" LOL

Imagine the scene:

Your driving along and low and behold you see a 5 car pile up.
                          People screaming - blood all over - mangled wreck...

Whats the 1st thing you do?

Ring 999?

Nah

Reach for your trusty hammer of course - LOL

Comment

Did ask him about the hammer when I dropped the car off. Just said that it's come in "Handy" a couple of times. (He does live in Clifton though)

Comment

Nice story. I take it you never had a wheel key to remove the offending wheel? Must be a lot of people with these kind of trailers as I see loads of black lines on the road all over the place!

I remember one time we were pulling the rally car back from Aberdeen and one of our trailer wheels passed us!!! Serious at the time but LOL now when I think of the expression on our faces as we looked at each other.

More of Banishit's Handywork!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X